No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Ras Jedir border police ousted in army smuggling crackdown

byNigel Ash
June 10, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Tripoli, 10 June:

A crackdown on smuggling appears to lie at the heart of the closure today of the Libyan-Tunisian crossing point . . .[restrict]at Ras Jedir, which has seen Libyan military oust Libyan border control police, because of their alleged involvement in illegal cross-border trade.

Meanwhile the crossing was blocked from the Tunisian side by locals angry at the arrest in Libya of 12 Tunisians, thought to be suspected smugglers. Long queues of vehicles built up, in particular on the western side of the frontier, with Libyan citizens trying vainly to get home.

The Ras Jedir crossing from the Tunisian side

It has been estimated that up to a million Libyans cross into Tunisia each year for tourism or health care. Ras Jedir is the larger of the two official crossing points between the countries. The other at Dehiba-Wazin in the foothills of the Nafusa needs to be upgraded and is in any event seen as too remote. A third border post is being considered at Mashhad Salih.

The official Tunisian news agency, TAP maintained that the Ras Jedir border had been closed from the Libyan side “ as a precautionary security measure”, with only ambulances being allowed to pass through. There has been no formal comment on this from Tripoli.

RELATED POSTS

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

However a source in Libyan immigration said this evening that as far as the Libyans were concerned, the border was open. What had happened was that men of the Libya Shield Brigade, under the control of the Ministry of Defence, had taken control the border post from Border Control Police, who are run by the Ministry of the Interior. Immigration officials were not affected by the takeover.

Illegal cross-border trade is rampant, making smuggling organisations, which are often family-based, a great deal of money. The main contraband flows are cheap (subsidised) Libyan petrol into Tunisia, with cheap (subsidised) Tunisian phosphates and food flowing back this way. The smugglers have used their clandestine routes for many years. Indeed during the revolution, smuggling rings assisted with the movement of arms and personnel into Libya, while helping evacuate the wounded, often, though not always, for a price.

In recent months there has been growing anger among smugglers on both sides of the border at attempts to clamp down on their lucrative activities. In April, 150 vehicles from Tunisia laden with food, tried to smash their way through to Libya. Last month, it was the turn of 40 vehicles from Libya to seek to storm through the border the other way.

Some agency reports were insisting tonight that the frontier had been closed because of fighting between former rebels and the new Libyan armed forces. Tunisia’s TAP said that there had been a fire fight between militiamen from Zouara and the Libyan army. No one from either the Ministry of Defence or Interior could be contacted for comment.
[/restrict]

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Sick passenger prompts Cairo emergency landing for Afriqiyah flight

Australian government demands Taylor's release

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.