No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Libyan cities look set to be cleansed of four-legged rats

byMichel Cousins
May 8, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By George Grant

Tripoli, 8 May:

It was one of Muammar Qaddafi’s most unpleasant refrains during last year’s revolution that he planned to . . .[restrict]“cleanse” Libya’s population “like rats”. Since Qaddafi’s fall and demise in October 2011, however, Libya’s cities have been subjected to a growing infestation of the real things; and these rats really do need cleansing.

Both Libyans and international observers alike are aware of how badly the war impacted upon business in Libya. Almost all the international firms operating in the country halted their operations and evacuated their staff. Many Libyan businesses likewise had to suspend trading, either because the conflict made doing business too difficult, or else because employees, or even the owners themselves, had gone to fight.

With the conflict’s end, those businesses of critical importance to the Libyan economy resumed operations comparatively quickly. Shops reopened in urban centres such as Tripoli and Benghazi, and the oil sector, in particular, recovered apace. As early as November 2011, oil output had risen to 600,000 barrels per day (b/d), and output is now almost back at pre-war levels of 1.6 million b/d.

RELATED POSTS

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

After a 10-year hiatus, CT scan service at Tripoli Children’s Teaching Hospital restarted

One sector that has been rather slower to recover, however, and with ever more visible consequences, has been waste and pest control. In the absence of functioning rubbish-collection services, the piles of bin-bags in Libyan cities have been growing ever higher. Rodents, likewise, have become a major problem.

In the last couple of weeks, however, things are starting to change. In Tripoli, squads of street cleaners, many of Bangladeshi origin, have appeared  and the rubbish mountains have started to diminish, although much still remains.

In the area of pest-control, things are also looking up. Speaking to the Libya Herald today, the British firm Rentokil confirmed that it would be resuming commercial services in Libya, although its LD 45-million government contract remains suspended.

“Before the outbreak of revolution last year, we had 32 pest-control experts on the ground and about 150,000 fixed bait points around Tripoli, Misrata and Benghazi”, said Malcolm Padster, Director of Corporate Communications at Rentokil.

“When the fighting broke out we had to suspend operations, and Libya certainly seems to have felt the consequences of that”, he added.

However, Padster said that throughout the conflict, Rentokil retained contact with its local pest controllers as well as hotels, restaurants and other businesses who made use of the company’s services.

Now, Rentokil has just signed a commercial contract and has 10 employees back on the ground.

When asked whether a resumption of Rentokil’s government contract was imminent, Padster insisted it was too early to say, but confirmed that discussions with the Libyan authorities were underway.

For the sake Libya’s urban residents, if not its rodents, it must be hoped that those discussions come to a successful conclusion soon.

 

[/restrict]

Related Posts

Customs Authority uncovers 11 companies involved in illicit use of Letters of Credit exceeding US$ 54 million
Business

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

February 17, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Business

After a 10-year hiatus, CT scan service at Tripoli Children’s Teaching Hospital restarted

February 17, 2026
Libya considering ways of recovering its outstanding loans to African states
Business

LFB recovering funds in several locations secretly to protect the funds and process: LFB Chairman Addarrat

February 17, 2026
Zueitina Oil Co. successfully tests new B1-106/4 well with production rate exceeding 3,000 bpd
Business

Zueitina Oil discusses technical cooperation with US-based BlueVee Energy to develop gas processing solutions for Field 103D

February 17, 2026
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

February 16, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

February 16, 2026
Next Post

“Liberated” equipment in Houn returned to owners

Gang said to be involved in bank guards' killing; money found

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

After a 10-year hiatus, CT scan service at Tripoli Children’s Teaching Hospital restarted

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.