No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UN’s Ban calls on Libya to end rights abuses

byMichel Cousins
March 14, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Tripoli, March 14: The UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon . . .[restrict]has called on the Libyan government to address human rights violations in the country.  His call, on Tuesday, follows the publication last week of a UN report that said that both sides committed war crimes during last year’s revolution.  It also claimed that killing, torture and other crimes are continuing in Libya.

The report was criticised by Russian UN diplomats last week. Maria Khodynskaya-Golenishcheva, a diplomat at the Russian UN mission in Geneva, said that it should have probed the deaths caused by NATO air strikes last year, which she said included children and Libyan journalists.

On Tuesday, however, Ban noted that Commission of Enquiry which produced the report had found that NATO “did not deliberately target civilians” in Libya airstrikes.

“The Secretary-General has made clear his view that the actions taken by the international community were consistent with the relevant Security Council resolutions,” his office said.

The office added that Ban was “aware of the positions members of the Security Council have expressed on this issue.”

RELATED POSTS

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

In a Security Council meeting last Wednesday to discuss the role of NATO air strikes during last year’s uprising, Russia’s UN ambassador Vitaly Churkin had attacked them saying, “we expect NATO to acknowledge that its air raids caused civilian casualties, to apologize and say that it is prepared to pay the appropriate compensation”.

The 200-page report said that Qaddafi’s troops had committed crimes against humanity and war crimes.

It also said that revolutionary forces also committed “serious violations including war crimes and breaches of international human rights law” such as unlawful killing, arbitrary arrest and torture”. It reported that they “perpetrated torture and ill-treatment, and continued to do so even during the commission’s visit”.

The head of the commission of inquiry, Philippe Kirsch, has said that as a result of its investigations,  it is giving the UN a list of people who should be charged with human rights crimes. The commission “has gathered information linking individuals to human rights violations or crimes,” Kirsch has said.

On Monday, the UN Security Council, unanimously voted to extend the mandate for its UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) by a year. Its extension is subject to review within six months, however.

  [/restrict]

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Opinion: Should Libya consider federalism?  By Ismail Suayah.

Opinion: Should Libya consider federalism? By Ismail Suayah.

Libyans involved in Moroccan drugs bust

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.