No Result
View All Result
Monday, September 1, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Russia slams foreign special forces training for militias

byNigel Ash
September 24, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Russia slams foreign special forces training for militias

Russian deputy foreign minister Gennady Gatilov (File photo)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Russian deputy foreign minister Gennady Gatilov (File photo)
Russian deputy foreign minister Gennady Gatilov (Photo: Russian Foreign Ministry)

Tuns, 24 September 2016:

Russia has condemned countries that have sent special forces to train armed groups in Libya and said the Libyan National Army should not be overlooked in the rebuilding of security.

Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov called in New York yesterday for a systematic and consistent approach to Libya’s security.

“There are problems in this area because some countries have been conducting air strikes in certain areas of Libya.  They have also been sending Special Forces involved in training the armed groups. This approach only exacerbates animosity and disunites the Libyan people”.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli based Libyan PM Aldabaiba takes part in Q&A as part of Tripoli Media Days – talks about Russia, corruption, El-Kaber, Bengdara and elections

Facilities Security Authority meets Russian and Italian ambassadors – discusses training and provision of security to returning companies

He said that it would be wrong to disregard the LNA which had been fighting terrorists in the east.

He insisted: “Only unified and strengthened security bodies can receive international military assistance within the restrictions imposed by the UN Security Council. The arms embargo should be scrupulously observed. At the same time, reliably monitoring the embargo is also important”.

Gatilov also told a ministerial meeting at the UN General Assembly “The situation in Libya is still unstable. The efforts to restore the stability and unity in the country after the illegal military intervention in 2011 have not yet been successful. The country’s future is still uncertain”.

But he went on to insist that the Libyan Political Agreement was still the basis for a political settlement.  He said that only through open dialogue could Libyans work out a political settlement and they could only accept a scheme that ruled out any external pressure.

He also repeated Russia’s reservations about sanctions. “The unilateral imposition of sanctions, as some countries have done, will not lead to a positive result”. The UN and UNSMIL chief Martin Kobler should work diligently “to engage the key politicians, the military, the representatives of the country’s regions and the tribes in the peace process, leaving no one behind”.

Moscow’s insistence on the LPA as the only option extends to its view first expressed in April that the Government of National Accord will have no standing until a cabinet selected by Faiez Serraj and his Presidency Council has been approved by the House of Representatives .

 

Tags: featuredGennady GatilovGNAHoRLibyaLPAPCRussiaUN

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post
GNA-appointed LIA Interim Steering Committee holds expanded meeting in Tunis

GNA-appointed LIA Interim Steering Committee holds expanded meeting in Tunis

First-ever Libya Comic Convention held in Tripoli

First-ever Libya Comic Convention held in Tripoli

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.