No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Hafter says US Sirte air strikes illegal, belittles BM battle in Sirte

byNigel Ash
September 7, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Serraj and Hafter pose for the camera in Marj in January (Photo: Libyan Army)
Serraj and Hafter pose awkwardly for the cameras in Marj in January (Photo: Libyan Army)

Tunis, 6 September 2016:

In a combative interview Khalifa Hafter has appeared to scotch French and Italian efforts to reconcile him with Presidency Council head Faiez Serraj and called US air attacks on Sirte illegal.

The House of Representatives-appointed commander-in-chief of the armed forces told the Russian news agency Sputnik that in its four years, UNSMIL had achieved nothing and bore prime responsibility for the current political impasse.

Hafter said that since the Government of National Accord had not yet been legitimised [by the HoR] it had no right to request US airstrikes against IS in Sirte. These were a violation of Libyan sovereignty. He added that, despite the backing of the international community with the exception of Russia, they were illegal. Russia had insisted that the US attacks required the prior approval of the UN Security Council.

RELATED POSTS

Libya Development and Reconstruction Fund signs ”strategic agreements” with ”several large” US Companies

Libya Development and Reconstruction Fund signs contract with Turkey’s Ankamenia for maintenance of Benghazi University’s medical colleges

Hafter who is apparently backed by the majority of the HoR and Serraj are at odds over the ultimate control of the armed forces. Under Article 8 of the Libyan Political Agreement that control moves from parliament to the Presidency Council. In a clear snipe at Hafter, Serraj said yesterday that the command of the armed forces could not rest on a single personality.

Italian foreign minister Paolo Gentiloni and his French opposite number Jean-Marc Ayrault last week sought to broker a reconciliation between Hafter and Serraj, an initiative which is also backed by the Americans.

In his Sputnik interview however Hafter was seemingly having none of this, though it is unclear if he spoke to the Russian journalist before the Franco-Italian proposal surfaced.  He was reported as saying that he could not work with Misratan militias, the mainstay of the PC, because they were unreliable.

Hafter said that he had been ready to liberate Sirte but that the Misratans had acted without coordinating their attack with the army He also described the Bunyan Marsous battles with IS in Sirte as a “drop in the bucket” when compared with the struggle that his troops had had with terrorists in Benghazi. He nevertheless paid tribute to the courage of BM forces, regretted their loses and wished them well in the final liberation of Sirte from the terrorists.

He told the Russian interviewer that Egypt and Chad were the main backers of the Libyan army providing him with military “ and other forms of support” at a time when other countries were holding back.

He also claimed that he was receiving analysis and special forces military training from “foreign” experts. Since France admitted the loss of three soldiers in a July helicopter crash, believed to be at Magrun, French troops are known to have been operating out of a small base at Benghazi’s Benina air base. There is also thought to be a small British observer presence but in July there were diplomatic reports that some Russian military personnel had recently arrived in the city.

This article has been updated.

Tags: BMfeaturedHafterLibyaSerrajSputnik

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Red carpet rolled out for Saleh and Thinni in Niger

Red carpet rolled out for Saleh and Thinni in Niger

Aswad claims progress in Presidency Council talks in Tunis on new government but tough going for Libya Dialogue meetings

Aswad claims progress in Presidency Council talks in Tunis on new government but tough going for Libya Dialogue meetings

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.