No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

MSF paints grim picture of Libyan healthcare

byNigel Ash
March 22, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Tripoli, 21 March 2016:

The international medical charity Medicins sans Frontieres has produced a grim assessment of the collapsing . . .[restrict]Libya health system, with more mothers dying giving birth and the widespread collapse of childhood immunisation.

MSF, which has now been operating in Libya for a year, also criticised the lack of other outside medical organisations.

“Despite the serious deterioration of the country’s health system, very few aid organisations are following MSF’s lead and providing help” said Malika Saim, the charity’s emergency coordinator.

RELATED POSTS

MSF to close medical activities in Tripoli – part of its review and reprioritisation

MSF Libya provided medical care in 2022 to more than 50,000 people

MSF has not simply been supplying drugs and surgical consumables. It has also put its people into hospitals to give crash training to new staff, who are seeking to replace foreign medical personnel, many of whom have fled since civil conflict broke out in the summer of 2014.

It said its aim is to train head nurses on wards, in emergency departments and operating theatres, with the idea that they will in turn be able to instruct nurses who have only a few months experience.

MSF said that it has been supplying medicines to those hospitals that still functioning. It mentioned Misrata, Zuwara, Benghazi, Marj and Al Abyar, east of Benghazi. It noted that in the 12 months it has been working in the country, the health service at every level had deteriorated rapidly.

Saim noted that state-of-the-art equipment in hospitals was not working thanks to poor maintenance and a lack of spare parts. “It is a country where the problems are not immediately obvious, ” he said, “but so much is needed. You can really see how the health system has gone downhill since we started working here a year ago”.

MSF made no reference to the increasingly desperate appeals by the World Health Organisation to raise $50 million to deal with what is has described as the critical health needs of up to two and a half million people. As of January, less than $3 million had been given by the international community. [/restrict]

Tags: healthcareLibyaMSF

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Tripoli fighting over Jumhouriya Bank control: Rada

Tebus and Tuareg demand language rights and seats in cabinet and parliament

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.