No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

IS vessel destroyed off Sabratha by unknown warplane: report

byNigel Ash
February 22, 2016
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
IS vessel destroyed off Sabratha by unknown warplane: report

A picture said to show the explosion of an IS vessel off the Sabrathan coast (Social media)

By Libya Herald reporters.

A picture said to show the explosion of an IS vessel off the Sabrathan coast (Social media)
A picture said to show the explosion of an IS vessel off the Sabrathan coast (Social media)

Tripoli, 21 February 2016:

There are unconfirmed reports that an unidentified warplane today destroyed a vessel carrying IS fighters . . .[restrict]and munitions off the Libyan coast near Sabratha.

A picture circulating on social media appears to show the mushroom cloud of an explosion some miles out to sea. The authorities in Tripoli have been reporting that aircraft taking off from Misrata have attacked IS positions in Sirte. But there has been no claim of a maritime attack. Nor has the Air Force in the government-controlled east of the country said that it sank the boat.

Therefore if the air strike did indeed take place, it was carried out by a foreign aircraft. Such as assault would fit the narrative that, following Friday mornings devastating US airstrikes on two IS compounds in Sabratha, the terrorists had been pulling out of the area.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The Pentagon has yet to acknowledge formally that the raid resulted in the death of two kidnapped Serbian diplomats held in one of the buildings. The Americans are sticking to their line that they had been watching the IS locations for weeks and had received no indications that “civilians” were present.

They have nevertheless expressed their deepest condolences to the Serbian government and the families of the slain envoys, communications officer Sladjana Stankovic and her colleague Jovica Stepic.  Pentagon spokesman Peter Cook said that the US would share whatever information it could with the Serbian government. He also stressed that when carrying out operations, the US military went to extraordinary lengths to limit the risk of civilian casualties and in its campaign to defeat IS, it would continue to do so. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredISLibyaSabrathavesselwarplane

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Militants forced out of Ajdabiya

HoR postpones unity government debate as Kobler arrives in Tobruk for talks

HoR postpones unity government debate as Kobler arrives in Tobruk for talks

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.