No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Thinni dismisses high-profile information chief

byMichel Cousins
December 10, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Saber Ayyub.

Omar Al-Gawari
Omar Al-Gawari

Tripoli, 10 December 2015:

Following days of rumours and counter-rumours as to whether Omar Gawairi, the high-profile head of the . . .[restrict]Beida-based Information and Culture Administration was being replaced, the Thinni government today confirmed that it had relieved him of position and given the job to journalist Khaled Najem.

Gawairi had earlier said reports of his departure were “malicious rumours”. He has now wished his successor good luck, asking him to go and see him so he can formally hand over his functions. He also said on his Facebook page that he had received no formal letter from the government but had heard about it from Arish Said, Thinni’s director of foreign media. As for himself, he said he was going to Benghazi to join the supported forces backing Khalifa Hafter who are fighting against the various jihadist forces including the so-called Islamic State and Ansar Al-Sharia.

Reports first surfaced just over a week ago that Prime Minister Abdullah Al-Thinni intended to remove Gawairi, who is from Misrata. They followed intense criticism of his attack on a new EU-supported news agency in the country, the Libya Cloud News Agency. He had allegedly said that any Libyans who worked for it were traitors. His statement provoked a strong public rebuke from the government which said that his views in no way represented its position.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Reports were circulating for much of yesterday that Thinni had finally made the decision to replace him with Najem who later in the day reportedly told colleague that he would be taking over. However, there were also reports yesterday that Thinni was worried about the implications of removing the last Misratan from his administration.

Gawairi earned himself something of combative reputation long before the Libya Cloud row with attacks on both Turkey and Tunisia, accusing the former of providing support to what he called “terrorist groups” in Libya. In the case of Tunisia,  he attacked it over its plans to reopen its consulate in Tripoli. He also claimed nine months ago that Libya had information that Islamist terrorists were planning to head to Europe disguised as refugees and that arms for use by terrorists had reached France along the illegal migrant route from Libya. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaOmar Gawairi

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Tunisia reopens land border crossings with Libya

Hannibal Qaddafi seized, beaten and released in Lebanon

Hannibal Qaddafi seized, beaten and released in Lebanon

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.