No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Leon’s proposed government hits brick wall with HoR: UPDATE

byMichel Cousins
October 20, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Leon’s proposed government hits brick wall with HoR: UPDATE

By Libya Herald reporter.

Brick wall

Tobruk, 19 October 2015:

The House of . . .[restrict]Representatives appears to have rejected UN Envoy Bernardino Leon’s proposed Government of National Accord. In a session today, attended by 135 members, it insisted that the Libya Dialogue agreement initialled on 11 July in Skhirat was the only version it would agree to and that the numerous changes made to it by Leon since then were unacceptable.

The HoR also decided that while it would continue with the Dialogue process it would change its negotiating team, till now been led by the HoR’s deputy president, Emhemed Shouaib.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

HoR Benghazi member Abubakr Buera resigned from it last week in protest at the names presented by Leon.

This evening’s decision, read out before members left, was initially reported to have been unanimous. However, there was no vote and one member subsequently claimed that 70 of his colleagues disagreed with what had happened and they would be signing a statement tomorrow distancing themselves from the House’s supposed decision

That decision included five specific points. In addition to changing the negotiating team, the HoR said it rejected the names for the Presidency Council (the prime minister, three deputy premiers and two ministers) as well Leon’s proposals that Abdurrahman Sewehli head the State Council and Fathi Bashagha the security council. There should, moreover, be two deputy prime ministers as agreed in the 11 July Draft, not three, as changed by Leon.

Earlier, staff at the HoR reported they had been told to leave the building “for security reasons” because of expectations of protests.

On 8 October, the UN Special Envoy announced his choice of Faiez Al-Serraj as prime minister together with three deputy prime ministers, Ahmed Maetig, Musa Kuni and Fathi Majbri, and two other ministers, Omar Aswad and Mohamed Ammar, to constitute the Presidency Council.

In a move now widely seen as a major blunder, Leon also proposed Sewehli for the State Council, Bashagha for the security council and ministerial posts for another 17 prominent figures.

This report has been updated. It was initially reported there had been a vote. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredHouse of RepresentativesLibya

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

E-Passport fiasco continues

HoR president heads to Cairo and UAE seeking support

HoR president heads to Cairo and UAE seeking support

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.