No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Leon loses patience with the GNC: going ahead without them

byNigel Ash
October 8, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Leon loses patience with the GNC: going ahead without them

A weary Leon at today's early morning press conference (Photo:Iason Athanasiadis)

By Libya Herald reporters.

A weary Leon at today's early morning press conference (Photo:Iason Athanasiadis)
A weary Leon at today’s early morning press conference (Photo:Iason Athanasiadis)

Tunis, 8 October 2015:

A small gelatina bomb exploded harmlessly outside the GNC yesterday while members were deciding not . . .[restrict]to buy into the latest UNSMIL deal. A far bigger political bomb went off early this morning when UNSMIL chief Bernardino Leon announced the formation of the unity government was going ahead without them.

“We have decided to go on,” a weary and crumpled Bernardino Leon told a Skirhat press conference in the small hours of this morning, “and we will continue with the formation of a unity government. Tomorrow, we will be ready to propose this government”.

Leon explained: “After consultations with all the Libyans participating in this national dialogue, I come here to tell you that even though we have been waiting for the GNC to make a decision today, unfortunately this decision has not been the one we were expecting in terms of proposing names for the national unity government”.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

He continued that none of the obstacles that it knew it was facing would prevent the national dialogue from proposing a government, “ a government of unity, a strong government that will reunite all the Libyans and will allow Libya to overcome the security crisis and the humanitarian crisis that it is facing”.

Leon continued: “So the message tonight is a message of unity. It’s a message of trust. We know well that there are many Libyans who are confused after what has happened today. Let me say that after consulting with many people inside and outside Tripoli, all over Libya, I can tell them we will prevail, that we will be able to propose a government tomorrow. And this government, this agreement, which is not going to change, this agreement that is final, as it was said very clearly by the international community last Friday, will be supported by the huge majority of the Libyans”.

When asked by a journalist how the new government could operate from Tripoli if it was controlled by the GNC, Leon said it had been a long day, during which UNSMIL had talked to a lot of people. “But what I can tell you is that our impression now is that a huge majority of the Libyans, and this includes a huge majority of Tripoli, and this includes we want also to think, the huge majority of the members of the GNC are ready to support a peaceful solution, a political agreement without changes and a unity government that should be announced tomorrow”. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredGNC left outgovernment of national unityLeonLibyaSkirhat

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Fast food poisoning affects scores in Tripoli 

Tripoli: Ghut Shaal road reopens after Rada releases detainee

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.