No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Rixos manager arrested, then released amid food poisoning claims

byMichel Cousins
May 31, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Tripoli, 29 May:

The manager of Tripoli’s Rixos hotel, ?ükrü Koçak, was arrested on Tuesday amid allegations of food poisoning at the hotel.  He . . .[restrict]was later released according to hotel sources.

However, two other members of staff who were arrested 12 days ago in relation to the allegations remain in custody.  A Rixos cook and a store keeper were arrested when amounts of out-of-date food were found in a store during a raid by officials. The two, both Turks, were in court yesterday according to Abu Shikewa, an Interior Ministry official tasked with investigating the arrest of Koçak.

According to the head of Tripoli police, Ali Hamrouni, the raid that resulted in the two earlier arrests followed complaints from people claiming to have suffered food poisoning after eating at the hotel.

Rixos management deny that there has been any food poisoning at the hotel.

RELATED POSTS

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

It is reported that the complaints — 41 in total — had all come from militiamen or members of the Supreme Security Commission (SSC) forces.  This has raised speculation of a grudge against the hotel which provides many hundred of meals a day.   It would be strange if only men in uniform suffered food poisoning.

Late in March, Kocak was kidnapped and later released by Zintani militiamen after a row with them over an unpaid bill for accommodation. The row is said to have ended up involving not only the Turkish embassy but the Turkish government as well. It was reported to have contacted the NTC chairman Mustafa Abdul Jalil asking him to secure Kocak’s release.

It was unclear exactly who arrested Koçak yesterday.  According to Abu Shikewa, a group of 15 heavily-armed men led by an Ali Saeed arrived at the hotel at midday and seized the manager.  Shikewa said they were helped by two SSC guards based at the hotel.  Other SSC guards deployed in the woods behind the hotel did not take part.

Initially yesterday, it was widely reported that Koçak had been arrested after a medical report showed that two militiamen had died of food poisoning. However, this has not been confirmed at present.

Meanwhile, it is reported in Turkey’s Hürriyet daily that Koçak and 54 staff members, all of them Turkish, are planning to leave and return to Turkey. The paper said that “the hotel’s personnel have been receiving death threats”.

The Rixos, opposite the NTC headquarters, is used by many NTC members as accommodation and for meetings and receptions.  It is also used by many VIP delegations. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

The delay in elections and optimism in Libya

Libya relents on group visas: Egyptian officials

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.