No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Benghazi demonstrators call for Hafter-led military council, burn US and British flags

byMichel Cousins
February 21, 2015
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
Benghazi demonstrators call for Hafter-led military council, burn US and British flags

Protesters in Benghazi turn their anger at the US and the UK (Photo: Social media)

By Libya Herald staff.

Protesters in Benghazi turn their anger at the US and the UK (Photo: Social media)
Protesters in Benghazi turn their anger at the US and the UK (Photo: Social media)

Benghazi, 20 February 2015:

Demonstrators in Benghazi’s Kish Square today demanded the House of Representatives (HoR) in Tobruk appoint . . .[restrict]a military council headed by Khalifa Hafter. They also said it should sack the government of Abdullah Al-Thinni and list the Muslim Brotherhood as a terrorist organisation.

They further called on it to reject the UN’s attempts at dialogue in the country.

If it did not agree to their demands, the demonstrators, in bitter mood after the Guba bombings, said they would topple the HoR.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

At least 500 locals turned out for what was called a “Friday of support for the Libyan army”.  Among other demands were that the international community lift the arms embargo on Libya and the formation of an Arab military coalition to support the Libyan army in the fight against terrorism. However, they also stated they did not want foreign or Arab troops on the ground in Libya.

Much of the anger at the Libya’s spiralling security crisis was directed at foreign governments. They demanded Libya break diplomatic relations with Qatar and Turkey whom they accused of supporting terrorism in Libya. They also burned American and British flags and called for the two countries’ ambassadors to be removed. “They are against terrorism by words, but support it by actions,” demonstrators claimed.

Twitter accounts relating to Libya have also been full of anti-US and anti-UK comments today.

Meanwhile in Tobruk, where there were angry demonstrations yesterday and the day before over the security situation, there are growing fears that it could be the next target for the terrorists. The town is now in a state of alert with security substantially increased at the Hariga oil terminal and the cooking gas distribution plant. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghazifeaturedHouse of RepresentativesKhalifa HafterLibyaTobruk

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

LD 30 per month for every Libyan in subsidy substitution: Hassi

National ID number will save LD 6 billion: Hassi

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.