No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UPDATE: Corinthia Hotel attack

byNigel Ash
January 27, 2015
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
UPDATE: Corinthia Hotel attack

The car bomb outside the hotel this morning (Photo: social media)

Libya Herald reporters

The car bomb outside the hotel this morning (Photo: social media)
The car bomb outside the hotel this morning (Photo: social media)

Tripoli, 27 January 2015:

Gunmen claiming to belong to Daesh today attacked the Corinthia Hotel, the unofficial headquarters of the . . .[restrict]antigovernment of Omar A-Hassi, killing three guards, possibly more, and detonating a car bomb in the car park as guests fled though services doors.

A firefight has been taking place between Libya Dawn security forces who reportedly entered the hotel. There are reports that the attackers, believed to number five, have seized hostages.  It is unclear if any members of the Hassi regime, including Hassi himself, are trapped in the building. There are reports that he may have been evacuated along with eight Americans from a service entrance.  At least one staff member, believed to be from the Philippines has been injured.

The Associated Press has quoted Essam Al-Naas,  of the Tripoli Security Agency, as saying that there was now a continuing stand off.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Airports Authority discusses joint investment with Malta’s Corinthia Group

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

The agency said it was also told by a member of the  hotel staff that the masked attackers, wearing bullet-proof vests had burst past the security post outside the building and fired at random at staff in the hotel’s lobby.

The Libya Herald has been told by someone close to the hotel that a warning of an imminent attack may have been received last night.

The Maltese-run Corinthia Hotel has 299 rooms, of which it is reported only ten percent are currently occupied.  British, Turkish and Italian guests have been mentioned as being in the hotel at the time of the attack.

The pro-Libya Dawn TV station Al-Nabaa has said it had seen a post on a Daesh-linked web site which claimed that the onslaught had been carried out by the “Abu Anas Al-Libi Assault”.  This is a clear reference to Nazih Al-Ruqaii, alias Abu Anas Al-Libi, seized outside his Tripoli home in October 2013 and taken into US custody.  Libi died of liver cancer at the start of this month, just before his New York trial was due to open.  Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsular vowed to avenge his death.

When Libi’s body was returned to Tripoli on 10 January, Hassi’s Minister for Wounded and Martyrs in the Hassi Mohamed Al-Jazwi, called Libi ”a hero”. Hassi himself as described Ansar Al-Sharia as “beautiful”.

Libya Dawn, which controls the capital, has persistently insisted that Daesh is not present in the capital, despite growing evidence of the fact.

The former prime minister Ali Zeiden also based himself in the Corinthia, from where he was kidnapped in October 2013. On that occasion the attackers gained entry by telling hotel security staff that they had a warrant for his arrest. [/restrict]

Continue Reading
Tags: attackCorinthiafeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
United States reiterates it does not recognize GNC and its Tripoli Hassi government

United States reiterates it does not recognize GNC and its Tripoli Hassi government

Libya: increased deficit and weaker currency warns World Bank

Libya: increased deficit and weaker currency warns World Bank

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.