No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Leon announces GNC to be part of dialogue, heads to Tobruk

byNigel Ash
December 9, 2014
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli, 9 December 2014:

UN Special Envoy Bernardino Leon is heading to Tobruk today, after announcing yesterday that Ghadames . . .[restrict]II was postponed until next week and would now also include members of the Tripoli-based parliament, the General National Congress (GNC).

Late last night, after over three of hours in “long and fruitful” talks with key members of the GNC, including its head Nuri Abu Sahmain and deputy Salah Makhzoum, Leon said that the dialogue would now include members of the GNC, following the ruling of the Supreme Court.

“It is important to remember that the first dialogue started with the House of Representatives (HoR) and we all agreed that the ruling of the Supreme Court implies changes, whatever the views about the ruling,” Leon said. “Unfortunately, previous talks were interrupted when the decision of the Court changed the political landscape.”

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

He pointed out that, within this political landscape, there was a wide range of figures who did not agree with the Supreme Court ruling. “There are people who accept it and people who don’t accept it but the ruling has consequences.”

Leon said that, amongst the members of the two parliaments, there were some so-called boycotters of the HoR who accepted the ruling and no longer considered themselves members of the HoR,  as well as “an important group of MPs in the GNC” that did not accept the ruling.

“So now we have two houses where important parts disagree with the majority,” Leon said. “This decision produced changes and we have had discussions with people attending Ghadames talks and we propose to include multiple other actors.”

These multiple actors would include tribal leaders and armed groups, Leon said, apart from any groups declared terrorist groups. “Obviously Ansar Al-Sharia will not be part of the dialogue but other armed groups should be part of it, to share and contribute to help overcome the crisis.”

He said that during last night’s talks, “some important points to make possible this dialogue” had been agreed. “The key principle is that the only solution is a political settlement. There is no solution through military means and there is no solution through fighting,” Leon said. “The solution should come as a result of consensus between different actors, political and social.”

The dialogue should be based on respect, despite the different views held by those participating, he said. “Let me comment on the spirit of this meeting and people because they have expressed generosity and are ready to go very open-minded to this meeting next week, respecting the principles of democratic Libya, the constitutional declaration and principles of legitimacy and inclusion.”

The most important aspect of the proposed Dialogue was for the different actors to try to find elements of agreement to take steps to stabilise the situation in the country, Leon said. He said that new elements had been included in discussions, the main one of which was to begin agreeing on the idea of a National Unity Government and other steps to stabilise the country.

Such steps should include a ceasefire agreement and weapons control as well as militias leaving cities, airports and public spaces, to contribute to the stabilisation of the country, he said.

Leon described the role of the UN as a facilitator to bring people around the table. “We are not here to judge but here to try and help facilitate talks.”

Last night’s talks were the first official indication that the UN recognised the ruling of the Supreme Court.

It seems unlikely that all of Leon’s comments or, indeed, the fact that he gave his press conference in front of a banner for the presidency of the GNC, will be well-received when he arrives in Tobruk.

The press conference was held at midnight at a venue in the old GNC complex of buildings, after a combination of bad weather and technical issues with the UN plane made Leon seven hours late for the meeting. [/restrict]

Tags: GNCHoRLeonLibyapress conferenceTripoli

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post

Hafter lays out his conditions for joining dialogue

Former Qaddafi brigade member leader sentenced to death in Misrata

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.