No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UN Special Representative Leon stresses urgency in dialogue process

byNewsdesk2
October 19, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald staff.

Tripoli, 18 October 2014:

Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General Bernardino Leon, speaking on Al Arabiya TV’s Panorama programme, . . .[restrict]says there is an urgency to the process of dialogue.

“We don’t have years to solve this crisis because there are many threats to the fragile process,” he stated. The parties had “to reach an agreement as soon as possible—we are talking about weeks”.

If not, it could be too late, giving time for terrorists to establish themselves in the country, he said.

RELATED POSTS

UNSMIL head Tetteh proposed new sequenced Roadmap includes parliamentary and presidential elections and a new unified government

UNSMIL announces results of online survey to be used as a guide to proposing initiative to break Libya’s political deadlock

There were terrorists in Libya, including Al-Qaeda and probably ISIS, Leon stated, pointing out that the UN had begun the process of declaring Ansar Al-Sharia a terrorist organisation.

“We have to work to isolate and to fight terrorism,” he declared. But the fighting between mainstream groups weakened both sides and strengthened the terrorists’ foothold in the country.

The clashes on the ground were going nowhere, he said, and a military solution would not work. Instead, there had to be a ceasefire, something the parties involved in dialogue had already asked all armed groups to agree. That included House of Representatives members both in Tobruk and those boycotting its sessions.

The UN Special Representative also insisted that the HoR was the only legitimate body in Libya. He confirmed that when Ban Ki-moon visited Libya last week he met only with elected members of the HoR.

As to the demands of members boycotting Tobruk insisting that rules on procedure for the HoR be adhered to, Leon ebelievd that  were this to happen “then I am sure there could be an agreement for this parliament to be the only one” recognised by all Libyans. A next step would be a government of national unity voted on by the parliament, he said.

This would not solve all problems, Leon admitted, but it would be a beginning. Building trust was extremely important, he explained. That could happen, he believed: trust was growing and both sides were beginning to negotiate terms. Moreover, Libyan society had strong bonds: there were no strong ideological differences between the supporters of the HoR and the boycotters. But a solution would have to mean concessions on all sides.

Libya’s neighbours too could play an important role, Leon stated. What was happening in Libya affected them and also the European Union. He called on neighbouring states to “push hard” for dialogue. He also said that the initiatives of other nations, notably Algeria’s, could complement the UN’s dialogue initiative.

But, he  stressed, “any international intervention which might support the continuing of the fighting” was not going to help. International efforts had to support dialogue.

Leon spoke about the humanitarian crisis, mentioning the hundreds of thousands of displaced inside Libya. Humanitarian aid had to be provided in Libya – and to countries where Libyans had gone, especially Tunisia. It needed international assistance to deal with the humanitarian crisis caused by Libyan displacement, Leon added.

He said he would be attending the Council of European Foreign Ministers meeting in Luxembourg on Monday where they would discuss Libya among other matters. Humanitarian assistance would be a part of that discussion.

 

  [/restrict]

Tags: Bernardino LeònHoR House of RepresentativesLibyaUNSMIL

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
“Ageing grey Mufti” has no shame in issuing political edicts: Prime Minister Thinni

"Ageing grey Mufti" has no shame in issuing political edicts: Prime Minister Thinni

Terror groups Daesh (IS) and Boko Haram are present in Libya: PM Thinni

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.