No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Dignity troops and civilians to link Wednesday for mass Benghazi action

byCallum Paton
October 14, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Dignity troops and civilians to link Wednesday for mass Benghazi action

Plans for the demonstrations have been spread on Social Media (Social Media)

By Noora Ibrahim and Adam Ali.

Plans for the demonstrations have been spread on Social Media (Social Media)
Plans for the demonstrations have been spread on Social Media (Photo: Social Media)

Benghazi, 13 October 2014:

Demonstrations are being planned in Benghazi on Wednesday as individuals from across the . . .[restrict]city prepare themselves for what appears to be an armed insurrection against Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shura Council (BRSC).

The pro-government forces of Operation Dignity have seized upon the ground-swell of support saying that with the assistance of local residents they will reenter Benghazi on 15 October.

The campaign for the day of mass action has spread rapidly on social media. Benghazi residents have claimed they will band together with whatever arms they can find to drive Islamist forces from the city. Pictures have appeared on Facebook and Twitter showing individuals, particularly young men, brandishing guns and wearing black face masks.

RELATED POSTS

LBC opens its Eastern Region branch at its new Benghazi location

Egypt Real Estate Exhibition launched in Benghazi

The apparently spontaneous plans for the demonstrations seem to have taken their impetus from small but vocal protests on Saturday in Benghazi’s Bodema district when masked gunmen, some members of the police, took to the streets in support of pro-government forces.

Armed demonstrations in Benghazi on Saturday (Photo: Social Media)
Armed demonstrations in Benghazi on Saturday (Photo: Social Media)

Mohamed Al-Hejazi, the spokesman for Operation Dignity, told the Libya Herald pro-government forces had said since the beginning of their operations in May that they would only be able to succeed in their campaign if they had the support of the people of Benghazi.

Hejazi said that Dignity forces wished to see as little bloodshed as possible on Wednesday and has asked all those who do not intend to participate to stay at home. He explained that the fighting could last for days.

Hejazi said Operation Dignity had asked those planning to join them to handover any “terrorists or criminals” to pro-government forces. Dignity has asked residents to raid areas they know to be used by BRSC and stop any vehicles transporting weapons or ammunition.

Demonstrators have been asked to not engage in acts of sabotage or theft and to limit any violence in the aftermath of the fighting to a minimum, Hejazi explained. His statements were similar to those broadcast on television and information on pamphlets dropped by Operation Dignity from the air over Benghazi.

Recent calls for demonstrations in the city have gone largely unnoticed as residents have feared being caught-up in violence.

On Friday an explosive device killed one man and left two bystanders injured outside Benghazi’s Tibesti Hotel which had been a focal point for demonstrations in the city during the revolution and afterwards. [/restrict]

Tags: armedBenghaziBenghazi Revolutionaries’ Shura CouncildemostrationsfeaturedLibyaoperation dignity

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Fake visa Egyptians deported

Fake visa Egyptians deported

HoR and Thinni government suffer de facto erosion of legitimacy on daily basis in Tripoli

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.