No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Fighting continues in Benghazi despite Eid

byNewsdesk1
July 28, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Ayman Amzein and Moutaz Ahmed.

Tripoli, 28 July 2014:

Fighting has continued in Buatni and Leithi districts today, the first day of Eid, . . .[restrict]and although it has been noticeably quieter than yesterday and the day before, bombs and explosions could still be heard across the city.

A source at the Red Crescent said that the organisation had picked up eight bodies today near Saiqa’s headquarters in Buatni.  They had not been identified and had been taken to Benghazi Medical Centre. “Both sides are cooperating with us,” the source added. “We heard the shooting so got on with our job quickly and left,” he said.

Electricity, internet and mobile phone services have largely been restored. However, a number of local residents are taking advantage of the Eid holiday to go and stay with relatives in safer parts of the city or places further afield, such as Marj. Some are even reported to be heading to Egypt to wait out the fighting.

RELATED POSTS

Libya’s Tika Construction Chemicals company exports another shipment of its Xtreme porcelain tile adhesive and grouting materials to Grenada

“Made in Libya” exhibition to be held in Benghazi from 10 to 13 August

On Saturday, a number of mortar missiles, said to have been directed at the Tibesti Hotel, hit nearby Istiklal Street. It is believed that the hotel was targeted because the newly elected House of Representative is scheduled to convene there next Monday.

According to locals, the Buatni and Leithi areas look like a war zone after missiles fell randomly. One man told the Libya Herald: “I saw one missile hit the grocery store near my house, blowing out the front of it.”

One Benghazi-based Libya Herald contributor reported that the building in which he lives was hit by a missile yesterday and that he and his family had fled for safety.

For its part, Ansar Al-Sharia is reported to have lost one of its senior members, Idris Majbre, in the clashes during the past two days between it and the Saiqa Special Forces. Ahmed Ali Mohammed Musbah Al-Zahawi, brother of Ansar’s leader in Derna, Mohammed Al-Zahawi, is also said to have been killed.

Three brothers who are member of the military police – Salah Al-Briki, Nuri Al-Nriki and Hasan Al-Briki – have meanwhile disappeared, according to the head of Saiqa Special Forces Investigations Unit, Fadel Al-Hassi. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghaziLibya

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

US, European leaders discuss Libya crisis

Maltese oil worker freed

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.