No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

First shipment of fuel arrives at Sirte’s Gulf Power Station

byCallum Paton
July 10, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Seraj Essul.

Tripoli, 9 July 2014:

The first shipment of fuel has arrived to supply Sirte’s new Gulf power . . .[restrict]station as the General Electric Company of Libya (GECOL) prepares to connect the plant to the national grid.

GECOL spokesman Lutfi Ghoma told the Libya Herald the shipment of  34,000 tonnes, which arrived by sea, had already been transferred to to the power station. He said it would power one of the Gulf plant’s four 350-MW turbines which would initially operate at around half of its normal capacity.

When it begins to generate power  at its reduced level, the turbine should supply the national grid with an extra 175 megawatts, Ghoma explained. He said that work would continue on the plant to bring all four of the turbines to their full normal working capacity of 1,400 MW.

RELATED POSTS

National Development Agency signs two strategic agreements with UAE’s Global Builders for Sirte projects

Egyptian dredger arrives in Sirte – starts dredging work in various marine projects

In a statement yesterday, the Ministry of Electricity said the whole project was half way to completion. There had been fears that a recent withdrawal of Turkish technicians from the power plant because of threats against Turks by General Hafter’s Operation Dignity would slow its completion. However, accrording to Ghoma, other workers had been able to continue construction despite the Turkish engineers’ absence.

A Turkish diplomatic source told this paper that Turkish workers were expected to return to their posts soon. Turkish technicians working at the Sirte power station fled with their countrymen based across eastern Libya a few days ago after Operation Dignity leader Khalifa Hafter ordered Turks and Qataris “from Sirte to Musaid” to quit the country. Hafter’s spokesman Mohamed Hejazi alleged at the time that there were Turkish and Qatari spies in the two communities.

The Gulf power station was robbed and vandalised last month, resulting in the collapse of two of its pylons.

[/restrict]

Tags: GECOLGulf power stationLibyaSirte

Related Posts

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments
Business

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

November 29, 2025
Ministry of Housing in discussions with Ernst & Young in London
Business

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

November 29, 2025
Minister of Industry meets the Committee for Localisation of Oil Materials and Equipment Industry
Business

Industry and Minerals Ministry signs MoU with Hungary’s Rotary International Co. for joint infrastructure investment projects

November 29, 2025
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

NOC reviews Poland’s Puna oil company’s 2025-26 exploration plans in the Murzuq Basin

November 29, 2025
LAIP delegation visits Maputo, Mozambique to recover seized rice project
Business

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio holds coordination meeting with Nigerian embassy on Transit Corridors Project

November 28, 2025
Libyan Export Promotion Centre changes to become Libyan Export Development Authority – new logo adopted
Business

Libyan Export Development Authority to launch subsidised direct shipping service to Sub-Saharan African ports

November 28, 2025
Next Post
Government reviews numerous options to solve budget deficit

Government reviews numerous options to solve budget deficit

Bank robbers strike again in Sirte, but thwarted in Tarhouna

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.