No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Constitutional Assembly meets for first session in Beida

byMichel Cousins
April 22, 2014
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Constitutional Assembly meets for first session in Beida

Members of the Constitiutional Assembly pose for the camera in Beida today (photo: Maryline Dumas)

By Mathieu Galtier.

Members of the Constitiutional Assembly pose for the camera in Beida today (photo: Maryline Dumas)
Members of the Constitiutional Assembly pose for the camera in Beida today (Photo: Maryline Dumas)

Beida, 21 April 2014:

The Constitutional Assembly met for the first time today in Beida in an event that was . . .[restrict]more about self-congratulation than a working session. However, aware that they have a great deal to do in drafting a constitution, the members started with a clear message directed to the General National Congress (GNC): “We exist. We are independent and legitimate.”

The midday ceremony was fully of symbolism to demonstrate that the Assembly was as much a fully elected and legitimate institution as the GNC.

It met with 48 rather than 47 members. 

 

RELATED POSTS

Spanish visiting medical team perform joint operations in Beida, US-based consultant visiting in Zintan

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

After the elections on 20 February, the Higher National Elections Commission (HNEC) announced that 13 seat out of the 60 seats had remained unfilled because of boycotts and violence. Congress has since told HNEC to organise new elections for the 13 seats but meanwhile a 48th member from Kufra has been recently established after the courts decided to formalise the election there despite the Tebu boycott.

The fact that 12 rather than 13 seats still need to be elected was not seen as a delaying factor in devising the constitution.

“The Assembly can start from now even though not all the members are elected,” said Abdallah Safit, head of the committee in charge of the organization for the constitutional assembly. “There is no legal measure to prevent them.”

“We were elected two months ago, so we have lost a lot of time because of the Congress. We must build the new Libya now”, Dr Ibtessam Abhih, an Assembly member from Benghazi, told the Libya Herald.

She had already decided to stay in the hotel booked for elected members until the draft of the constitution was written.

“Do not betray the people”

Members were greeted one by one by tribal leaders and heads of local councils in the area. “You are history makers. Don’t betray the people, because they chose you and in you,” said Ali Hussein Mohamed, the elected Mayor of Beida Municipal Council, in one of the  strongest speeches at the ceremony today.

Tonight, GNC members, ministers and diplomats are expected to take part in the second part of the ceremony in which Al-Touati Abu Shah from Beida as the oldest member will be act as president while Ramadan Atouijar from Al-Ajilat will be the rapporteur as the youngest. A new president, a deputy, a spokesman and a rapporteur will be elected later by the assembly.

Today has not brought any more news about how the constitution draft will look like. However, this newspaper interviewed six members from the east, west and south of the country and all were in favour of a presidential system. “The presidential system is best because the GNC has showed that a parliamentary one causes too many political clashes which prevent to progress”, Salahadin Abou Khazam, from Wadi Al Shatti, explained.

Additionally those spoken to did want the tribes to have any institutional powers under the future constitution.

No taboo issues and transparency

“The constitution should be above all the tribes”, Obeidi Zaroug, from the Awlad Sulaiman tribe, said even though he was wearing traditional tribal costume. On the other hand, he said he wanted a part of oil revenue to go directly to local areas, as he said happened under the the kingdom and which is one of the demands of the federalists…

“Every issue should be put on the table. The only base is that each Libyan citizen has to be equal”, said Dr Alhadi Abou Hamer, a member from Bani Walid. He wanted the committee to talk about the fate of IDPs (especially Tawarghans), Libyan exiles and the accuracy of the Political Isolation Law.

Talks are expected to be heated during the summer months in the old Beida Parliament building. To avoid any suspicion of secret agendas, members told this newspaper that they would ask discussions to be open to the public. “Facebook pages, TV stations, surveys, meetings all over the countryand the like. We have to be as transparent as possible because we are cooking hard stuff”, Dr Mohamed Balrouïn, from Misrata, said.

Hidden agendas

All the members met yesterday for the first time but already rumours about some of them being secretly supported by political parties have leaked out. “I am sure there are members who have Islamist or liberal hidden agendas but it is too soon to know who is who”, one member said.

According to the initial roadmap, the Assembly has four months to draft the constitution. International experts agree say it will not likely happen so soon.

“My main concern, however,  is more about security. Bayda is located between Benghazi and Derna militias…” a civil society activist said.

Local elders greet Ali Treiki and other Assembly members (Photo: Abdallah Doma)
Local elders greet Ali Tarhouni and other Assembly members (Photo: Abdallah Doma)
[/restrict]

Tags: BeidaConstitutional AssemblyfeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

GECOL gives condolences to family of murdered engineer

NOC sets agenda for Libya Oil and Gas Forum in May

NOC sets agenda for Libya Oil and Gas Forum in May

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.