No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Human rights organisation accuses Finance Ministry of withholding funds and interfering in its work

byCallum Paton
January 21, 2014
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Callum Paton.

Tripoli, 20 January 2014:

Libya’s National Council for Civil Liberties and Human rights (NCCLHR), has said that interference from the . . .[restrict]Ministry of Finance is imposing on its independence and the withholding of essential funds may eventually render it unable to continue its work.

Executive Director of the NCCLHR, Waleed Kawaan, accused the Ministry of Finance of “serious and flagrant interventions” into the organisation’s affairs. “The executive powers have tried to intervene in the financial performance of the council by imposing an internal auditor, contradicting the law which established the council and conflicting with international standards,” he said. “The intent of the government to impose their will on the council may lead to influence one of the important aspects of its work, its ability to criticise the government.”

Speaking yesterday at press conference for the release of the NCCLHR’s most recent report, Kawaan railed against the Ministry of Finance not only for imposing on its independence but also for holding back funds crucial to its work. The organisation said that delays to the release of monies from the government budget was preventing it from opening branches across the country. The NCCLHR said it had been forced to survive on previously-allocated funds left over from the last budget, although the Ministry of Finance had also asked for these to be returned.

RELATED POSTS

Office of Prosecutor of International Criminal Court welcomes Germany’s arrest of Libyan suspect

Libyan militias intensified suppression of dissent, attacks on civil society. Thousands arbitrarily detained, arrested for exercise of human rights: Amnesty International report

“The council is transparent in its accounts and expenditures and accepts the reviews of neutral bodies which do not interfere with its independence,” Kawaan said. “There has to be accountability before civil society organisations, the general public and those in power, but not in a way which encroaches on our independence.”

The Libyan NCCLHR was established by Law No.5 in 2011 as an independent human rights and civil liberties watchdog. Its funding should be allocated independently by Congress. The council has an extensive remit in line with similar institutions around the world and is headed by former NTC Minister of Justice, Mohammed Allagi [/restrict]

Tags: human rightsMinistry of FinanceThe National Council for Civil Liberties and Human Rights

Related Posts

Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Justice and Construction Party pulls ministers from government

Sebha airbase "back in pro-Qaddafi hands": Murzuk commander

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.