No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Miniscule Anti-Zeidan protest at Congress claims sabotage by Prime Minister

byMichel Cousins
December 26, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Miniscule Anti-Zeidan protest at Congress claims sabotage by Prime Minister

The (Photo: Ahmed Elumami, Libya Herald)

By Ahmed Elumami.

Trashed interior of Congress
Trashed interior of Congress

Tripoli, 22 October 2013:

Protestors calling for Prime Minister Ali Zeidan to be toppled, and disappointed by the low turnout . . .[restrict]at their demonstration outside the General National Congress (GNC) today, claimed that Zeidan had orchestrated another protest to sabotage their rally.

Some ten war-wounded, claiming to be from Ajdabiya and demanding treatment abroad, broke into the Congress hall this morning, forcing the GNC to suspend their sitting, and damaging furniture. They left after negotiations with the Libyan Revolutionaries Operations Room (LROR) which Zeidan has accused of being behind his kidnapping.

The anti-Zeidan protestors, however, said the incident with the war-wounded had been orchestrated by Zeidan and implemented by the head of the self-proclaimed Cyrenaica Council’s political bureau, Ibrahim Jadhran, to ruin their demonstration. Despite being well-advertised and expected to attract a large crowd, only  around 25 people actually turned up this morning.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The (Photo: Ahmed Elumami, Libya Herald)
Anti-Zeidan banners at the protest outside the GNC (Photo: Ahmed Elumami, Libya Herald)

Jadhran’s office in Ajdabiya has denied that he organised the dispatch of  war-wounded to Tripoli. There were also claims on Twitter that the head of Ajdabiya’s Injured People Society had also said that none of the town’s injured revolutionaries had left for Tripoli.

In the capital, a well-equipped tent, with laptops and refreshments, has been erected just outside the main gate of the GNC and the protestors say they will remain there until Zeidan leaves office. The tent was decorated with banners, one which said: “Zeidan = Jadhran = Naji = bribe.” They also claimed to have collected the signatures of some 500 people who say they are against Zeidan’s government.

Passing motorists, however, seemed less than interested in the small protest, with many winding up their windows to prevent being handed flyers.

Congresswoman Amina Mahjoub, Justice and Construction Party member from Sorman, joined the protest. “The problem is Zeidan himself,” she told the Libya Herald, pointing out that there was no security, no defence, no army and no police. “What is the obstacle for Zeidan to rebuild these security forces?” she asked. “He has the budget and the support from the decision makers.”

She added that 133 GNC members were ready to give a vote of no confidence to Zeidan before his abduction. She described his abduction as being like a play that Zeidan himself had orchestrated.

Another Congress member, Mohamed Al-Kilani, implicated on Sunday by Zeidan in the Prime Minister’s kidnap on 10 October, gave the protestors a wave of encouragement as he walked past.

With input from Ayman Amzein

  [/restrict]

Tags: ajdabiyafeaturedGeneral National CongressIbrahim JadhranLibyaWar wounded

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Benghazi Islamists reach out to local tribe and moderate federalists

Reports of Chadian assassins surprise Benghazi

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.