No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

I have sacrificed my political future by being Prime Minister – Zeidan

bySami Zaptia
July 26, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

Tripoli, 26 July 2013:

Prime Minister Ali Zeidan reiterated his belief that he has sacrificed his personal political future by . . .[restrict]taking up the post of Prime Minister during this difficult transitional period in Libya’s history.

Speaking at Wednesday’s press conference, flanked by his Ministers of Electricity, Interior and Justice, Zeidan said that “if people think that we are keen to remain in our positions, then they are wrong”.

“I will not gain politically in the future because anyone who takes this role will have no future”, he admitted, seemingly writing his political future off.

RELATED POSTS

Economy Minister Hwej discusses imposed peak time power cuts and higher tariffs with industry

Misrata fast track power station expected to enter service end of June

Zeidan had been reacting to a difficult week marred by three different explosions in Tripoli, Benghazi and Sirte and chronic electricity cuts in Tripoli.

Calls in the media, for example, and especially social media, had increased for the sacking of the Electricity Minister due to the power cuts. Others were questioning Zeidan’s ability to take Libya any further forward.

The three Tuesday bombings had also added to the negative atmosphere. The Benghazi bombing was of a police station ostensibly by the owners of the land upon which the station is built.

The bombing of the Sirte Courts complex was probably, according to the Minister of Interior, by convicts released by the Qaddafi regime wishing to avoid being returned to prison.

The mortar attack that hit an apartment block in downtown Tripoli was directed at the Corinthia hotel, according to the Interior Minister, and seemed an escalation of the violent attacks all over Libya.

It is not the first time that Zeidan has resorted to giving the impression that he does not crave power and that he stays in the Prime Minister’s job purely out of patriotism. This seems to be Zeidan’s defence mechanism whenever he feels his position threatened.

He has also said in the past that his weakness as Prime Minister and that of his government reflects the weakness of the GNC and the Libyan state as a whole.

Whilst there is much truth in that, nevertheless, it is not clear if his critics buy his logic. What Prime Minister Zeidan does not seem to understand is that in real politic sometimes parliament – the GNC – and the public want change for change’s sake.

If Zeidan’s government continues – or is perceived – to perform poorly and the public start to put pressure on the GNC, it does not take much to think that Zeidan might find himself the convenient sacrificial lamb.

Zeidan is no doubt to a great extent banking on the fact that choosing a new Prime Minister will not be easy. It will take much political head banging at the GNC between the factious political groupings, and then there is the matter of getting past the Political Isolation Law.

Nevertheless, some critics reject the implication in Zeidan’s argument that no other person could give the position a go and do any better because the state is weak. Some argue that another Prime Minister could come with a new fresh outlook at existing problems with the possibility of different solutions.

The point is, politically, a new face always brings new possibility and most importantly, new hope. Hope – something that critics are fast running out of under the seemingly stagnant Zeidan and his government. [/restrict]

Tags: explosionsGNCpoliticalpower cutsZeidan

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Updated: Tenders awarded for 48 projects to local companies

Updated: Tenders awarded for 48 projects to local companies

Ramadan art evenings: tonight and tomorrow

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.