No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Car bomb by Benghazi hospital kills three

byMichel Cousins
May 13, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Car bomb by Benghazi hospital kills three

By Maha Ellawati and Ayman Amzein.

The scene outside Al-Jalaa hospital today  (Photo: Abdullah Doma)

Benghazi, 13 May 2013:

A massive car bomb exploded in Benghazi this afternoon in a parking area . . .[restrict]outside Al-Jalaa hospital,

Three people died, according to the director of the hospital, Mohamed Bilaeid. He told the Libya Herald the body of one had been taken intact into the hospital and unrecognisable burnt body parts of two others had also been gathered. The two had been in the vehicle that blew up, officials say.

People at the site, however, say at least 12 people died. An entire family in another vehicle near the car bomb were said to be among the dead. A boy walking nearby was also reported to have been killed.

RELATED POSTS

Libya’s Tika Construction Chemicals company exports another shipment of its Xtreme porcelain tile adhesive and grouting materials to Grenada

“Made in Libya” exhibition to be held in Benghazi from 10 to 13 August

An official at the Interior Ministry has denied the higher figures, confirming the number at three. He told the Libya Herald said that six people had also been injured,  including a woman and children.

Locals report as many as 30 having been wounded, almost most of them not seriously.

The bomb went off round 3 pm, sending up a pall of smoke and dust. It was visiting time at the hospital, and the car park was busy. The blast caused extensive damage to buildings, including the end section of the hospital, a restaurant, shops and computer training centres. Half an hour after the explosion, an apartment was still seen to be on fire.

More than a dozen cars were destroyed.

According to the ministry official, initial investigations indicated that home-made bomb was put under a car. “We are still investigating,” he said.

So far there is no indication who was responsible. “We cannot point fingers at anyone at the moment,” said the official. “Bomb experts at the site are gathering information. We will give a statement later.”

One theory is that the explosion was not a car bomb but explosive used by fishermen.

However, angry crowds gathered at the site, blaming Islamist militants from Derna and demanding they be crushed. Outside the city’s Tibsesti Hotel, an impromptu demonstration took place later, with also people blaming Chief of Staff Yousef Mangoush for the city’s lack of security and demanding he be sacked immediately. They also demanded Benghazi City Council members resign.

A website supposedly belonging to an Islamist group calling itself the Islamic Front of Derna Mujahideen Forces has claimed responsibility but at present little credence is given to it.

Swift condemnation of the attack came from Benghazi Local Council leader Mahmoud Abu Raziza, who was one of the first to visit the site, and from the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) which called it “criminal”. It called on all Libyans during “this critical phase” to unite against terrorism, attacks and efforts to destabilise the country. [/restrict]

Tags: BenghazifeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Shuwail flies to Benghazi as Congress cancels session over bomb blast

Shuwail flies to Benghazi as Congress cancels session over bomb blast

We still won’t have security: Ports Authority on RPG attack

We still won’t have security: Ports Authority on RPG attack

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.