No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Clashes at Sirte Basin oilfields

byMichel Cousins
March 20, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Clashes at Sirte Basin oilfields
Protestors vehicles at the . . .[restrict]entrance to Gialo 59 oilfield

Tripoli, 20 March 2013:

Clashes are said to be continuing today in the Ghani oilfield between security guards and a militia supposedly from Ajdabiya called the Jazira Brigade. The oilfield, in the western Sirte Basin, some 50 km north of the Zella oasis, is operated by Harouge Oil, formerly Veba, a jont venture between the National Oil Corporation and Petro-Canada.

There are reports that some staff are being evacuated for their ssafety but it has not been possible to confirm this. The clashes are said to be over who can guard the facility.

Similar clashes, were reported two days ago at Waha Oil’s nearby Dahra field. The two clashes are thought to be related. The guards at Dahra are said to be from Ajdabiya and the attackers from Sirte.

At the beginning of the month, there were clashes at Mellitah gas complex, some 60 km west of Tripoli, between militiamen from Zintan and Zuara over who should be guarding the complex. One man was killed in the fighting which halted gas exports to Italy.  The clashes were only ended and production restarted when the army intervened and took over the site.

RELATED POSTS

Zawia Oil Refining Company prepares to establish 100-million litre industrial oils plant in Benghazi‎

Aldabaiba forms technical committee to examine controversial NC7 Hamada oil deal – must report by 30 January

Neither of the clashes at Ghani and Dahra have so far affected production. However, it was reported yesterday, Tuesday, that flights between Tripoli’s Mitiga airport and Dahra airfield had been temporarily suspended.

Meanwhile, the protests at Waha Oil’s Gialo 59 field are continuing, a source in the nearby town of Jalu has told the Libya Herald today. There is growing frustration among the protestors, the source said. “They were expecting feedback from the company by today regarding their demands, but there has been no feedback.”

The protestors have been demanding that Waha end a contract with a services contractor and instead give jobs to local people, especially vehicle drivers.

  [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaoilWaha Oil

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post
A brighter future with new mobile power generation

A brighter future with new mobile power generation

HRW calls on Libya to stop revenge “crimes” against Tawerghans, wants UN sanctions against those involved


Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.