No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Oil industry enjoyed a mixed 2012

byNigel Ash
February 22, 2013
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Oil industry enjoyed a mixed 2012

By Nigel Ash

Tripoli, 22 February, 2013:

OMV today announced 2012 revenues . . .[restrict]up by a quarter thanks to the resumption of its Libyan operations which at around 33,000 b/d account for ten percent of its production. However the Austrian oil firm cautioned that in its view the situation in Libya remained “volatile”.

The news comes as the Libyan National Oil Company reported that exports exceeded 485 million barrels last year, almost 380 million of which were sold by NOC and its subsidiaries and the rest by its foreign partners. Local consumption meanwhile accounted for almost 53 million barrels.

RELATED POSTS

NOC announces new oil discovery in Sirte Basin by Austria’s OMV – with test production of over 4,200 bpd and over 2.6 million cubic feet of gas per day

BP to reopen office in Libya, Shell discusses prospects for cooperation in oil field development‎

Libya is now the second largest oil exporter after Nigeria,  but has Africa’s largest proven reserves. It has however been a mixed year for foreign oilcos. Last May Shell decided to suspend its Libyan operations and pay off its local staff. Only 48 hours later BP confirmed that it had reached agreement with NOC and was resuming its E&P operations in the country, after it had been forced to declare force majeure at the outbreak of the revolution.  However, BP’s plans which involved a restart this autumn have now apparently been put on hold because of security concerns following the attack on the In Amenas gas processing plant in Algeria.  By contrast, Wintershall, the oil and gas subsidiary of German conglomerate BASF appears to have made a successful return to Libya, from where it was lifting 100,000 b/d before the revolution.

As told in the first edition of Libya Herald’s Business Eye magazine (downloadable from this site as a PDF), a leaky 52 kilometre pipeline between Nafoora to Amal that threatened resumption of production was replaced  in just six months, after NOC chairman Nuri Berruien shook on the deal with Wintershall’s Libya boss Uwe Salge at the end of last March.  Moreover, what has been Libya’s largest post-revolution project so far, was financed by Wintershall because at the time, NOC was unable to commit the funding.

Wintershall chairman Rainer Seele, interviewed by Reuters after a recent visit to inspect the project, said he had not seen a change in the security risks in Libya since the In Amenas assault. “We had already increased our security system in Libya, because of the civil war in 2011”, he said.

Production he continued, was now back to 80,000 b/d: “It is a challenge, but we are working hard. It is difficult to give a certain date but we would like to get to 100,000 b/d as early as possible.”

One of the challenges facing all oil companies, both local and foreign, is the availability of outside oil service contractors. The problem is not merely the issue of security, but a high global demand for a limited pool of technical talent, exacerbated by a failure of the worldwide industry to encourage sufficient new entrants into the oil sector.

In what was seen as a move towards greater transparency, NOC gave a break down of its export allocations for 2011. This showed that oil traders had won some nine percent of allocations, whereas in the past Libya had tended to supply only to overseas refiners on long-term arrangements.  This was almost certainly a reflection of  the readiness of some oil traders to supply fuel  on easy terms to Benghazi during the revolution.

A sticking point for most foreign oil companies has Libya’s Fourth Round Exploration and Production Sharing Agreements, dating from January 2005, which are stacked heavily in favour of NOC. The average production share of 88 percent is one of the highest in the world with a large signature bonus and a significant proportion of the E&P risk being borne by the foreign partner.

Last December, oil minister Abdelbari Al-Arusi signalled that the government was prepared to review contracts let since 2005.  He also announced a fifth licensing round for this summer. Industry insiders however doubted that the reviews could be completed by then, let alone the technical work underpinning a new licensing round.

  [/restrict]

Tags: ArusiBPEPSALibyalicensing roundNOCOMVShellWintershall

Related Posts

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments
Business

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

November 29, 2025
Ministry of Housing in discussions with Ernst & Young in London
Business

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

November 29, 2025
Minister of Industry meets the Committee for Localisation of Oil Materials and Equipment Industry
Business

Industry and Minerals Ministry signs MoU with Hungary’s Rotary International Co. for joint infrastructure investment projects

November 29, 2025
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

NOC reviews Poland’s Puna oil company’s 2025-26 exploration plans in the Murzuq Basin

November 29, 2025
LAIP delegation visits Maputo, Mozambique to recover seized rice project
Business

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio holds coordination meeting with Nigerian embassy on Transit Corridors Project

November 28, 2025
Libyan Export Promotion Centre changes to become Libyan Export Development Authority – new logo adopted
Business

Libyan Export Development Authority to launch subsidised direct shipping service to Sub-Saharan African ports

November 28, 2025
Next Post
Prison guard “smuggled” phone to Senussi

Prison guard "smuggled" phone to Senussi

Mounting traffic chaos on Egyptian border

Mounting traffic chaos on Egyptian border

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.