No Result
View All Result
Friday, August 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

“Quit Benghazi” advice is overreaction says government

byNigel Ash
January 25, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Tripoli,  24 January 2013:

The Undersecretary at the Ministry of the Interior, Abdullah Massoud, has condemned the call by a number of . . .[restrict]European governments for their nationals to evacuate Benghazi as “an over-reaction”.

Massoud insisted that the security problems in the city did not warrant this response. He also said that the Libyan Foreign Office had not been told formally by the British government of a change in its travel advice issued today.

The Libyan news agency, LANA reported that Ministry of Interior had given them a statement asserting there was no justification for such calls. It stressed that the city was safe since the implementation of the security plan and the establishment of the police and the national army to enhance its security. The ministry went on to say that talk of risk to citizens and foreign nationals in Benghazi was unfounded. It pointed out that there had been no security breach in the city for the past four days.

There is clearly some government frustration at the warnings, which are seen to be damaging, since they raise concerns among other diplomatic missions and foreign companies.

RELATED POSTS

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

The Interior Ministry confirmed that it had yet to receive any memorandum or position paper from the British Foreign Office, outlining the existence of a threat to its nationals in Benghazi. The ministry said it had contacted the British embassy in Tripoli and asked for an explanation but had not yet received a reply.  It was suggested that if the UK believed in an imminent threat, it could have withdrawn its nationals quietly, “without causing any fuss and excitement.”

The apparent breakdown in communications between Tripoli and London is puzzling because Britain’s National Security Adviser, Kim Darroch was in Tripoli today on the second day of a visit. On Wednesday, he met Prime Minister Ali Zeidan for talks on security collaboration. He also met with First Deputy Prime Minister Sadiq Abdulkarim. The talks also focussed on security and how Britain could help Libya in the field. Today Darroch had a meeting with the head of the Supreme Security Committee, Mohammed Suisi.

The British embassy told the Libya Herald this evening: “We don’t feel it is an over-reaction. The safety and security of British nationals is our priority.”  As yet, an official said, the British government had not received any official reaction from the Libyan government.

London is now warning against all but essential travel to Zuara, Zawiya, Tripoli, Khums, Zliten, Misrata and coastal towns from Ras Lanouf to the Egyptian border. For Benghazi the advice is against all travel to the city and to all other areas of Libya.

The embassy said the number of British nationals in Benghazi before today had been very small, but the spokesman declined to comment on specifics.

Asked if there might be difficulty for British and other Western nationals to leave the city, the spokesman said that while Air Malta had suspended flights temporarily, other carriers, including Turkish Air, Qatar, Jordan and Egyptair continue to fly into Benghazi on their normal schedules.

Germany and the Netherlands have also called for their citizens to leave Benghazi. The United States had strongly advised against all travel to Benghazi and all but essential travel to Tripoli in an advisory note published on 2 January.

[/restrict]

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Tripoli’s first educational materials exhibition

Tripoli’s first educational materials exhibition

Mawlid appeal to free Senussi’s daughter

Mawlid appeal to free Senussi's daughter

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.