No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Fighting continues in Kufra

byMichel Cousins
February 22, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

Sporadic clashes have continued in and around Kufra between Tebu people and the Zway tribe backed by members of various brigades . . .[restrict]flown into the southeastern oasis town by the defence ministry. According to Tebu sources on Monday, at least 113 people had so far lost their lives in the fighting, including women and children, and a further 241 wounded.

According to Associated Press, an ambulance diver in Kufra reported that a further 50 people had been killed in the past 24 hours. Three are said to be Zway.  Many residents of the town are said to be fleeing in trucks, taking what possessions they can with them.

A local engineer contacted by phone by the agency, Abdurrehim Al-Shewih, was quoted as saying: “The situation is extremely bad. . . It is about who kills the most everyday.”

He is also reported as saying that no one is going out in the streets, shops are shut and that when one side takes over a square, the other opens fire and drives it out.

There is no electricity in the town as a result of the power station being hit by a rocket-propelled grenade.

RELATED POSTS

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

There have been a number of ceasefires in Kufra since the fighting started on 11 February between the two ethnic groups but none has lasted long.

Rivalry between to the ethnic groups is longstanding, mainly over smuggling from Sudan and Chad.

The fighting is said to have started when a Zway smuggler was involved in a gunfight with a number of Tebu smugglers. It is said that he shot and killed five of them before being hunted down by three others and shot dead.

However, the conflict is also being seen in terms of national security and is said to be related to fears in the town that the local Tebu leader, Isa Abdul Majid, who had been tasked by the NTC with securing the border with Chad and Sudan, wanted to establish a separate state in the region. There have been claims that he had brought in fighters from Chad to support him. Last week, it was reported that 30 members of the Darfur rebel Justice and Equality Movement, fighting against the Zway and militiamen had been captured in Kufra.   Pictures purporting to show Chadians involved in the fighting have been circulating in Libya.

The Arab Zway outnumber the black-skinned Tebu in Kufra by more than 20 to one, but their numbers are higher in the southwestern Libyan towns of Murzuk and Qatrun. Last week, in what appears to be a related incident, a bomb was reportedly thrown at security official in Murzuk. The Tebu are also found across the border in Chad and Niger.

On Tuesday, NTC spokesman, Mohammed Al-Hareizi announced that more brigades members would be sent to Kufra “to secure the southern border, to ensure that there are no foreign elements entering Libya and to secure the town of Kufra”.  He called the situation there “critical”.

The previous day,  the head of the armed forces, Yousef Al-Mangoush said that many more militiamen would go to Kufra if the clashes did not stop.

On Saturday, a number of people from Kufra and Tuwargha demonstrated outside the Libyan Embassy in Cairo claiming that their relatives were being attacked because of their previous support of Qaddafi’s regime. They claimed that Libyans who are black were being abused and expelled. In fact, the Tebu were early supporters of the revolution last year.

 

 

  [/restrict]

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Interior ministry to take over airports, seaports, border crossings

Egyptian Stock Exchange Index world’s biggest climber

Egyptian Stock Exchange Index world's biggest climber

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.