No Result
View All Result
Monday, September 1, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

US Embassy thanks Libyans for help following ambassador death

byGeorge Grant
September 18, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By George Grant.

Libyans both at home and abroad have paid tribute to US Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other diplomatic staff killed in Benghazi on 11 September.

Tripoli, 18 September:

The US Embassy has issued a brief statement thanking Libyans for the help they provided in the . . .[restrict]aftermath of the 11 September attack on the US Consulate in Benghazi.

Several Libyans were wounded in the assault, which left four Americans dead including US Ambassador Chris Stevens.

“We thank all the Libyans in Benghazi and Tripoli who helped us in our most difficult moments last week, and a special heartfelt thank you to those in Benghazi who participated in the rescue attempt”, the US Embassy said, in a statement issued in Arabic on its official Facebook page.

RELATED POSTS

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

The rescue attempt refers to an effort by a group of Libyan men to rescue Ambassador Stevens from the burned-out consulate, captured in an amateur video.

Since last Tuesday, Libyans both at home and abroad have staged protests and vigils in memory of the dead, and have called on the government to bring those responsible to justice.

Both Prime Minister-elect Mustafa Abushagur and National Congress Speaker Mohammed Magarief have said the crime will not go unpunished and have vowed to address the militia problem in Libya.

Last week, a senior advisor to Abushagur told the Libya Herald that the militant Islamist brigade believed to be responsible for the attack, Ansar Al-Sharia, would be disbanded, by force if necessary.

“We are negotiating to dismantle it,” the source said. “We don’t want bloodshed but if they do not agree we will have to use force.

So far, at least 12 people have been arrested in connection with the attacks, with 50 targeted for investigation, according to Interior Minister Fawzi Abdelal.

Questions are also being asked of the security forces, however, not least how it was that the militants came to know of the location of a safe house close to the US Consulate, in which two Americans were subsequently killed.

On Sunday, Deputy Interior Minister Wanis Al-Sharif was sacked over his handling of the affair, having issued numerous false accounts of events, including claims that nobody was inside the consulate when it was first set upon. [/restrict]

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post

The Article "Women in Libyan Public Life" by Amena Raghei

Libya joins ESCWA

Libya joins ESCWA

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.