No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Libya generates 8,200 MW of electricity for the first time ever: GECOL

Security has enabled foreign technicians to overhaul stations leading to a generation surplus of 2,000 MW - hopes for no power cuts this summer

byIbrahim Senusi
March 20, 2023
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
GECOL says all eastern power stations ready to operate

Speaking exclusively to Libya Herald, the Media Spokesperson for the General Electricity Company of Libya (GECOL), Weam Al-Taeb, confirmed that the generation capacity of power plants in Libya reached 8,200 megawatts (MW) for the first time in the country’s history. He said generation had never exceeded 6,000 MW previously.

Al-Taeb said total energy generation is expected to reach 8,700 MW before the summer peak, and that current consumption ranges between 5,000 to 6,000 MW, leaving a surplus of more than 2,000 MW.

Unprecedented number of overhauls conducted
Explaining the reason for this generation surplus, Al-Ta’eb pointed out that GECOL has carried out a large number of major overhauls, reaching 13 major overhauls, which were completed before entering the previous winter peak. He added that work is currently underway to implement another 14 major overhauls, which are expected to be completed before entering the summer peak.

Work continuing across Libya
He added that GECOL is working in a coordinated manner in all Libyan cities, east, west and south. In the city of Tobruk, work is progressing well, and most of the engineering works for the new Tobruk station have been completed. Work is also going well in the projects of the North Benghazi station, as well as the Sarir station, in addition to the continuation of engineering work.

As for the situation in the south, Al-Taeb said that work on the project to connect the Ubari station to the electrical network is underway and will be completed before the summer peak, and the station will contribute to supporting electricity generation throughout the country.

RELATED POSTS

Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

Power restored after wide and long power cuts in Tripoli as contractors cut main power line – Mufti condemns power cut, GECOL calls on AG to investigate

Multi-nationality foreign technicians working safely across Libya
Revealing another reason as to why Libya’s electricity generation has risen after over a decade of failure, Al-Taeb confirmed that foreign companies operating in the electricity sector with the GECOL from Turkey, America, Germany, South Korea, India and Egypt are working continuously without obstacles to complete the contracted projects on time, especially with the resumption of all electricity projects that have been suspended for years.

Hope for a peak summer season without power cuts
Sending a message to Libyan citizens, Al-Taeb said GECOL management, which announced weeks ago the end of the peak winter season without the need to organise scheduled power cuts due to its generation deficit first time in ten years, hopes to schedule no power cuts during this summer peak season.

Tags: electricity power cutsforeign technicians engineersGECOL General Electricity Company of Libyageneration capacityoverhaul

Related Posts

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments
Business

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

November 29, 2025
Ministry of Housing in discussions with Ernst & Young in London
Business

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

November 29, 2025
Minister of Industry meets the Committee for Localisation of Oil Materials and Equipment Industry
Business

Industry and Minerals Ministry signs MoU with Hungary’s Rotary International Co. for joint infrastructure investment projects

November 29, 2025
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

NOC reviews Poland’s Puna oil company’s 2025-26 exploration plans in the Murzuq Basin

November 29, 2025
LAIP delegation visits Maputo, Mozambique to recover seized rice project
Business

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio holds coordination meeting with Nigerian embassy on Transit Corridors Project

November 28, 2025
Libyan Export Promotion Centre changes to become Libyan Export Development Authority – new logo adopted
Business

Libyan Export Development Authority to launch subsidised direct shipping service to Sub-Saharan African ports

November 28, 2025
Next Post
Libyan Honey Festival opens in Tripoli

Libyan Honey Festival opens in Tripoli

Libya discusses the reopening of airspace to its carriers with Italy’s ambassador

Libya discusses the reopening of airspace to its carriers with Italy’s ambassador

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.