No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

WHO supplies for east Libya attacked in Zawia by armed militias and diverted locally, other supplies stuck in Tripoli and Benghazi ports

bySami Zaptia
September 6, 2020
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

WHO reports that vital medical supplies to combat Libya’s exponentially spreading Coronavirus have been stolen by an armed group near Zawia while other stocks are unreasonably held up in Tripoli and Benghazi ports (Photo: WHO).

London, 6 September 2020:

The World Health Organization in Libya (WHO) revealed on Thursday that an armed group near the western Libyan city of Zawia intercepted one of its hired trucks on its way to Benghazi and Tobruk to deliver WHO supplies. The armed group directed the driver to deliver the supplies to a nearby health care facility.

WHO said that it has repeatedly asked the national Libyan authorities in Tripoli to intervene and ensure the supplies are restored to WHO for distribution to health facilities in the east and that as of 23 August, the supplies had not been returned to WHO.

WHO supplies stuck in Tripoli and Benghazi ports

RELATED POSTS

Health Ministry signs Strategic Cooperation Agreement 2026-2027 with WHO – announces results of the 100-Day Initiative

Demonstrations continue in Zawia for the second day in a row against all incumbent political entities as standards of living continue to diminish

On another note, WHO complained that it continues to experience delays obtaining the rapid release of its emergency and humanitarian supplies from Libyan customs.

It says it has raised the problem repeatedly with Libya’s internationally recognized Prime Minister, Faiez Serraj. and the head of Libya’s COVID scientific committee – but it says to no avail.

With Libya going through an exponential rate of increase in its Coronavirus, WHO says that these urgently needed items have been blocked in customs since 26 July 2020.

WHO said it is expecting a large shipment of oxygen concentrators to arrive in Misrata on 4 September. There are severe shortages of oxygen across the country, and these supplies are urgently needed for COVID-19 patients. It says it has informed the national authorities that these supplies are expected shortly and has asked them to secure their speedy release.

WHO also reported that when its representative travelled to Benghazi in the week of 29 August 2020 for meetings with senior officials, she repeatedly stressed that the COVID-19 situation was critical and asked the authorities to take the necessary steps to release COVID-19 supplies within 48 hours.

During her visit, supplies that had been blocked in customs in Benghazi for several weeks were released. The authorities in Benghazi have promised that future COVID-19 supplies arriving in the east will be released in less than 48 hours.

A large shipment of COVID supplies is due to arrive in Benghazi on 7 September, WHO reported.

Tags: Benghazi Portcorona virus coronavirus Covid 19featuredTripoli portWHO World Health OrganizationZawia

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

Finance Ministry suspends 17,000 state sector salaries - 6,915 of which were for deceased claimants

Tripoli University wins two EU-Erasmus capacity-building projects

Tripoli University wins two EU-Erasmus capacity-building projects

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.