No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Serraj and NATO Secretary General discuss Libya situation

bySami Zaptia
May 18, 2020
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

(Logo: PC/GNA).

London, 18 May 2020:

Faiez Serraj, the internationally recognized prime minister of Libya, held a telephone call on Saturday with NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg, the Tripoli government reported. The discussion comes on the back of Stoltenberg declaring in media comments last week that NATO was supporting the government in Tripoli.

They discussed the latest military and security developments, the seriousness of the security situation in Libya due to the aggression on Tripoli and its environs. They also discussed the impact on the stability of the entire region, the potential for stimulating terrorism hotbeds, and the possible chaos and the proliferation of weapons because of the fighting (and security vacuum) in Libya.

For his part the Secretary-General stressed that the NATO considers the internationally recognized Libyan government in Tripoli to be the legitimate government and does not deal with others and considered that targeting civilians and infrastructure (by Khalifa Hafter’s forces) is unacceptable. He added that there is no military solution to the Libyan crisis, stressing the need to abide by the outputs of the January 2020 Berlin conference on Libya.

RELATED POSTS

Atletico Madrid win Benghazi’s Reconstruction Cup after beating Inter Milan 4-3 on penalties – great political showpiece for Hafter

UNSMIL expresses concern over mobilisation of forces by Hafter and anti-Hafter forces

The Tripoli government report also said that Stoltenberg expressed NATO’s concern about the presence of Russian mercenaries from the Wagner Russian security company (considered by the US as an arm of the Russian state) fighting with Hafter, and stressed the need to apply the UN Libya arms ban on the arrival of arms by land and air and not merely by sea.

Serraj further stressed his firm position towards the aggression by Hafter and his determination to defeat it by all possible means. He hoped that cooperation with the NATO will contribute to stability and security in Libya.

The report also said that two sides agreed on coordination and cooperation between NATO agencies and military and security institutions in Libya as discussed in previous meetings, in order to contribute to supporting and building military and security capabilities, training Libyan cadres and increasing their capabilities, as well as the activation of joint committees between the two sides.

Analysts see the declarations by Stoltenberg as a possible policy shift by western powers and NATO – probably excluding Hafter’s ally France – in the face of Hafter’s year-long failure to take Tripoli and his indiscriminate, and to them, embarrassing shelling of civilians and civilian sites.

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2020/01/20/the-berlin-conference-on-libya-conference-conclusions/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2020/04/01/eu-launches-operation-irini-to-enforce-libya-arms-embargo-ends-operation-sophia/

 

Tags: Faiez Serraj Presidency Council Government of National Accord PC GNAfeaturedKhalifa HafterLNA Libyan National ArmyNATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Tripoli Libyan government extends curfew for 10 days, declares 24 hour curfew for Eid

Tripoli health ministry condemns ‘‘systematic attacks on civilians’’, 7 killed by shelling

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.