No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Fourth Qaddafi-era arrest warrant issued by ICC; more expected

byMichel Cousins
April 25, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Jamie Prentis.

Tunis, 25 April 2017:

After a six-year gap, the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague has issued an arrest warrant for a member of the former Qafddafi regime. It has announced the unsealing of the warrant for Al-Tuhamy Mohamed Khaled, the head of the regime’s internal security, for crimes committed during the 2011 revolution.

The warrant, originally issued in April 2013, but not made public till now, alleges torture, imprisonment, persecution, cruel treatment and “outrages upon personal dignity”.

ICC chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda has reopened the file saying it “could foster support and cooperation for an arrest operation from the international community”.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

It is only the fourth revolution-era warrant publicly issued by the ICC. The other three, issued on 2011, were those for Muammar and Saif Al-Islam Qaddafi and Abdullah Senussi, the former intelligence chief.

Since then, despite calls by international and Libyan human rights organisations and activists for more cases to be brought to court, most recently in January, the ICC has taken no action until now. However, last November Bensouda told the UN Security Council that the ICC would return to Libya to investigate alleged war crimes, saying Libya would be a priority in 2017. It was thought at the time, though, that she was referring to crimes committed since the revolution, rather than during it.

The accusations against Al-Tuhamy, from the west Tripoli suburb of Janzour, comprise four crimes against humanity – imprisonment, torture, persecution and other inhumane acts –and three war crimes –torture, cruel treatment and outrages upon personal dignity – all alleged to have taken place between February and August 2011. In the original warrant, the ICC says it has a reasonable grounds to believe that he had the authority to implement Qaddafi’s orders in his role in internal security.

The original 2013 warrant requested that Egypt “keep this request and any document accompanying this request confidential, except to the extent that the disclosure is necessary for execution of the requests”. The suggestion was that he was in Egypt at the time.

He is said to be in possession of 10 different passports.

Given Bensouda’s statement last November that Libya would be a priority this year, more arrest warrants already drawn up for Qaddafi-era officials are now expected to be publicly disclosed.

Tags: Al-Tuhamy Mohamed KhaledICCLibya

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Brussels technical talks on disrupting migrant smugglers' business model

Tebu anger at deadly airstrike on Sebha security room and jail

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.