No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tebu anger at deadly airstrike on Sebha security room and jail

byMichel Cousins
April 25, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters. 

Tripoli/Tunis, 25 April 2017:

An airstrike on a Tebu-run security headquarters and prison in Sebha last night that killed at least five and injured nine has been met with outrage by the local Tebu community.

In addition to three prison inmates and two prison guards killed, the currently unclaimed attack wounded eight other detainees and a guard. It destroyed large parts of the prison and vehicles outside.

A joint statement by the security room, Tebu elders and political activists, denounced the attack, blaming forces linked to the “interim government” (the Abdullah Thinn government in Beida) and saying it had to assume full responsibility for the incident.

RELATED POSTS

Libya and Turkey discuss increasing flights, including to Sebha

NDA launches construction of Sebha’s Rose Palace Hotel – implemented by Turkey’s Nova Global company

As many as 80 prisoners are said to have escaped from the prison as a result of the raid. They were said to be common criminals including those charged with murder, robbery and a number of other crimes. Other Sebha local sources, though, note that the prison is notoriously insecure and that there have been several previous escapes.

The Libyan National Army (LNA), backed by the Beida-based interim government, has fighter jets operating in the area and has targeted outlying areas of Sebha before.

If it is confirmed that it was responsible, the attack is likely to have serious consequences, even if the attack were a mistake.  Tebu units have supported the LNA, although there has been something of a distancing between the two sides in recent weeks, notably over Tuareg links with the LNA plus threats to local Tebus in Kufra by the local LNA-appointed military commander.

Officials at the Tebu security room have said they would suspend their work in protest at the aggression and urged the authorities to investigate the issue.

The attack was further evidence of the need to end hostilities, the statement added.

In a separate development, there were fierce clashes last night between rival Tebu and Awlad Sulaiman communities in central Sebha. These continued until today. They followed a Tebu confiscation of a Awlad Sulaiman gas truck.

Tags: LibyaSebhaTebu

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

Dissenting group blocks HoR vote on new CBL Governor

NOC to fully support Libyan private sector participation in projects

NOC to fully support Libyan private sector participation in projects

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.