No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tunisia keeps up the pace for peace

byNigel Ash
February 24, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Tunisia keeps up the pace for peace

State Council chairman Abdulrahman Sewehli with the Tunisian president (Photo: TAP)

By Libya Herald reporters.

State Council chairman Abdulrahman Sewehli with the Tunisian president (Photo: TAP)
State Council chairman Abdulrahman Sewehli with the Tunisian president (Photo: TAP)

Tunis, 23 February 2017:

Tunisia is keeping up the pace in the search for a Libyan political compromise.

Today Tunisian president Beji Caid Essebsi had talks with State Council chairman Abdulrahman Sewehli.  Yesterday foreign minister Khemaies Jhinaoui met former Presidency Council member Musa Koni, who quit Faiez Serraj’s government last month saying that the Council had failed to deliver which meant that he too had failed.

Essebsi told Sewehli that his country did not want to interfere in Libya’s affairs but wanted to remain neutral.  However he said  it would continue to encourage dialogue and the “intensifying” of talks between Libya’s political figures.  He insisted the current impasse had to be broken.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan and Tunisian Ministers of Economy discuss strengthening cooperation, implementing Joint Committee recommendations

Libyan Industry Union signs MoU with Maghreb Bank for Investment and Foreign Trade BMICE to expand financing opportunities for Libyan industry

He described the Libya’s current position as delicate and warned that without reconciliation its instability could spill over into its neighbours and father afield.

Sewehli assured the president that Libyans wanted peace. He thanked Tunisia for its attempts to support Libya in particular with the recent tripartite ‘Tunis Declaration,’ an initiative to quickly get mediation efforts back on track.  Such efforts would reenergise dialogue in Libya as momentum begins to build, the State Council chairman added.

Nonetheless, Sewehli warned that he rejected all forms of intrusion into Libya’s internal affairs, though he praised Tunisia’s apparent impartiality.

When Koni visited the Tunisian foreign ministry yesterday, Jhinaoui briefed him on the Tunis Declaration. He echoed Essebsi’s insistence that a solution could only from dialogue not violence. Compromise by everyone, whatever their views, was he said essential.  Even though by resigning, Koni has taken himself out of the political mainstream, it is perhaps indicative of Tunisia’s determination to talk to everyone who might matter, that Jhinaoui was still prepared to take time out to welcome him.

Jhinaoui also saw UNSMIL chief Martin Kobler, making his second visit to the foreign ministry in a fortnight.  After being briefed on the tripartite talks, Kobler thanked the Tunisians along with the Algerians and Egyptians for their work on the Tunis Declaration. He said the initiative had been welcomed by many of the Libyan officials he had met over the past few days.

Indeed Kobler has been even more than usually busy. Two days ago he was in Tripoli where he had separate talks with Serraj and Sewehli. At the weekend he had been in Alexandria where among other meetings,  he had what he claimed were constructive talks with House of Representatives president Ageela Saleh.

Tags: Ageela SalehEssebsifeaturedKoblerLibyaMusa KoniSerrajSewehliTunisTunisia

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Migrants suffocate locked in a shipping container

Migrants suffocate locked in a shipping container

More new banknotes delivered to Central Bank in Tripoli

More new banknotes delivered to Central Bank in Tripoli

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.