No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Serraj government condemns air strike on Rixos seat of breakaway parliament

bySami Zaptia
May 24, 2019
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Serraj government condemns air strike on Rixos seat of breakaway parliament

The Rixos conference room used by the Tripoli breakaway HoR members was the subject of an airstrikeattributed to the Hafter-led LNA forces (PC/GNA MoI).

By Sami Zaptia.

The Rixos conference room used by the Tripoli breakaway HoR members was the subject of an airstrike attributed to the Hafter-led LNA forces (PC/GNA MoI).

London, 24 May 2019:

The Faiez Serra-led Presidency Council and Government of National Accord (PC/GNA) has condemned the airstrike on the Rixos complex in Tripoli that has recently been the seat for the breakaway group of House of Representative (HoR) members opposed to Hafter and his attack on Tripoli.

The attack was also condemned by the Tripoli breakaway group of HoR members.

The strike was believed to have been carried out by a drone as opposed to a fighter jet and was carried out early this morning. It caused structural damage mainly to the entrance of the conference centre. No casualties were reported.

RELATED POSTS

HoR Speaker Saleh cancels new import tax having previously claimed he had never agreed such a tax. Is Saleh’s position weakening? Report and analysis

HoR unofficial meeting proposes a new reform Roadmap to elect new leadership and amend internal regulations

The Rixos hotel and conference complex is located in the busy residential and shopping area of Bab Ben Ghashir. It is not far from Libya Herald’s Tripoli office. The area is especially busy late at night and in the early hours of the morning at this time of the year – during the fasting month of Ramadan.

The PC/GNA condemned the ‘’crime committed by the aggressor (Hafter’s) forces in striking early on Friday morning the site of the (Tripoli-breakaway) HoR in the centre of Tripoli’’. It said that this attack is ‘‘considered a new and grave contravention of the International Human Rights Law which prohibits the targeting of civilians and civil sites’’.

The statement added that the targeting of this site was symbolic as it ‘‘witnessed the birth of the first Libyan legislative body after the February (2011) revolution and the country’s symbol of the start of the phase of the peaceful transfer of power’’.

The airstrike, the statement added, ‘‘clearly expresses the insistence of the aggressor on targeting any symbols of the civilian state and was a miserable effort to silence the nation’s parliamentarians. It also confirms the aggressor’s policy aimed at killing, terrorizing and militarizing the state’’.

The PC/GNA went on to place the full domestic and international responsibility for this crime on the aggressor forces. It assured that its aligned forces were ‘‘continuing successfully their opposition to the aggressors and in achieving success on the ground in all fighting fronts’’. It said that it was this success that was ‘‘driving the aggressor forces to these blind strikes’’. The pro-GNA forces will continue their duties until they destroy the enemy, the statement concluded.

Notably, the PC/GNA condemnation statement did not mention Khalifa Hafter or his Libyan National Army (LNA) by name, which it usually does. However, an earlier condemnation statement by Serraj-aligned Ministry of Interior (MoI) and the pro Serraj Volcano of Rage Operations Room did. The MoI called on the international community to ‘’assume its responsibilities towards this aggression against the capital, Tripoli, which threatens the security and safety of safe and unarmed civilians’’.

It is noteworthy that the Rixos complex, the seat of Libya’s first post-Qaddafi parliament, the General National Congress (GNC) after the 2012 elections, has been used by a breakaway group of HoR members opposed to Hafter’s war on Tripoli. They are not sanctioned by the Tobruk-based HoR.

Khalifa Hafter, his Libyan National Army (LNA) and their allied forces had launched an attack on Tripoli on 4 April under the pretext of liberating the city from extremist and Islamist militias.

Tags: airstrikeFaiez Serraj Presidency Council Government of National Accord PC GNAfeaturedHoR House of RepresentativesKhalifa HafterLNA Libyan National ArmyRixosTripoli fighting

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post
As fighting remains in stalemate, the humanitarian situation continues to deteriorate as a result of the Tripoli fighting

As fighting remains in stalemate, the humanitarian situation continues to deteriorate as a result of the Tripoli fighting

Shelling caused NOC Tripoli clinic fire: NOC

Shelling caused NOC Tripoli clinic fire: NOC

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.