No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

NOC to lift Sharara force majeure only after arrest of armed civilians and their removal from oilfield

bySami Zaptia
February 26, 2019
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

(Logo: NOC).
(Logo: NOC).

London, 26 February 2019:

Libya’s National Oil Corporation (NOC) announced late today that its chairman, Mustafa Sanalla, met with Presidency Council and Government of National Accord (PC/GNA) head, Faiez Sarraj, and “representatives of the international community in Abu Dhabi today at their request to discuss measures necessary to lift the force majeure at the Sharara oil field. All parties expressed a desire to swiftly resolve the crisis and restart production as soon as possible”.

The NOC chairman reiterated his desire to resume production, and that force majeure will be lifted when all members of the ‘Civilian’ armed militia are removed from the field, the NOC statement said.

The stress on “civilian” by the NOC is a clear indication by it that it’s force majeure is still in place not because of the presence of Khalifa Hafter’s Libyan National Army (LNA).

RELATED POSTS

Atletico Madrid win Benghazi’s Reconstruction Cup after beating Inter Milan 4-3 on penalties – great political showpiece for Hafter

Akakus Oil’s drilling of new H-49 well in Sharara field completed with a production of 1,450 bpd

This responds to all the media speculation that Sanalla was not prepared to reopen Sharara under the control of LNA General control of the area.

Sanalla stressed NOC’s zero-tolerance policy towards extortion and insisted that all measures to resolve the crisis take place within the framework of national and international law.

The NOC statement said that “despite all concerned parties not being present at the meeting, NOC is seeking assurances from the General Command of the Libyan National Army that all outstanding arrest warrants will be served – and that wanted parties will be removed from the field”.

The statement recognizes the de facto control of the LNA as well as a clear recognition and working relationship with it. It appeals to the LNA to act as policeman by enforcing the law and existing arrest warrants issued.

According to Sanalla: “Previously announced security guarantees and arrangements at the site must be implemented to prevent further acts of aggression and violence against Libya’s oil sector workers. Under no circumstances will (there) be future threats to staff be tolerated.”

Clearly from this later statement by the NOC, the lifting of the Sharara force majeure had been announced prematurely by many Libyan news outlets earlier today.

This was sparked by the NOC’s morning announcement that Sanalla “had arrived in UAE to meet with a number of Libyan  and international parties to discuss security measures necessary to find a solution to the Sharara crisis, that guarantee staff safety, and pave way for the lifting of force majeure at the field”.

The statement was also accompanied by speculation that Hafter was supposed to meet Serraj at the meeting.

It is still unclear if Hafter did indeed secretly attend the meeting, or if he was supposed to attend it and then changed his mind.

If Hafter was never scheduled to attend, then it must be asked why did Sanalla have to fly to Abu Dhabi to meet Serraj?

Tags: Abu DhabiFaiez Serraj Presidency Council Government of National Accord PC GNAfeaturedforce majeureKhalifa HafterLNA Libyan National ArmyNOC chairman Mustafa SanallaSharara oilfield

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post
Six Libyan political parties agree Charter of Honour

Six Libyan political parties agree Charter of Honour

World Rare Diseases Day medical conference to be held in Tripoli

World Rare Diseases Day medical conference to be held in Tripoli

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.