No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Six arrested in connection with migrant torture footage

bySami Zaptia
January 25, 2018
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Six arrested in connection with migrant torture footage

arrests were nade in connection to the torture video footage (Rada).

By Jamie Prentis.

arrests were nade in connection to the torture video footage (Rada).
Arrests by Libyan forces have been made in connection with the torture video footage of a Sudanese migrant (Photo: Rada).

Tunis, 24 January 2018:

Authorities in western Libya have arrested a group accused of being involved in the recent viral videos showing the torture of Sudanese migrants.

Sirte security forces from Bunyan Al-Marsous (BAM) said they had arrested five Libyans and a Palestinian in Qadahiya, an area some 130 km’s south of the former Qaddafi hometown.

They released eight Sudanese nationals, who were sent to Sirte’s Ibn Sina hospital for treatment. A shootout occurred when the smugglers refused to stand down, leading to the injury of one of them.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli Transport Minister seeking to activate Transit Roads to Niger and Sudan

Seven employees of Canadian security firm Guarda World arrested at Mitiga airport by Rada

The operation was in conjunction with the Tripoli-based Rada Special Deterrence Force. While Rada played no part in the physical release of the prisoners, as part of the Presidency Council’s interior ministry, it did have a key role in intelligence gathering.

Following the widespread condemnation of the torture footage, Rada set up a committee to identify where the captives could be. It was aided by information from family members of those held. However, Rada said only four Libyans were arrested, in comparison to BAM who said six had.

Yesterday, Libya’s ambassador to Sudan was called to the foreign ministry in Khartoum to explain the situation.

The videos that spread last week showed young Sudanese men being beaten and burned as their captors asked for ransom money. Most were from the conflict-ridden Sudanese region of Darfur and had come seeking work or a passage to Europe.

While news that migrants in Libya are subjected to often-barbaric treatment is not new, the country has been the focus of international attention after footage emerged of a supposed slave trade in the country. A PC investigation led by deputy Ahmed Maetig has revealed little so far.

Tags: Bunyan Marsous Solid StructurefeaturedmigrantRadaSudantorturevideo

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Warfali alleged revenge executions alarm UN Secretary General

Warfali alleged revenge executions alarm UN Secretary General

Tamenhint airport re-opens with arrival of first flight from east

Tamenhint airport re-opens with arrival of first flight from east

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.