No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Waha to rebuild storage tanks and pipelines, plans “alternative” payment schemes

byMichel Cousins
November 21, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

The fire at the Sidra oil storage tankers led to great losses and damage says the report (Photo: Sirte Oil Company)
 Sidra oil storage tanks on fire in 2014 (Photo: Sirte Oil Company)

Tunis, 21 November 2017:

Waha Oil is looking to replace large sections of its pipelines suffering from corrosion as well as the 12 oil tanks destroyed in 2014 at its terminal in Sidra. However, it lacks the finance to pay for them. As a result, according to Waha chairman Ahmed Ammar, it is looking to alternative means of payment.

Speaking to a business conference in Tunis today organised by the Libyan British Business Council and the British Arab Commercial Bank (BACB), Ammar did not explain what the alternative payment systems might be, whether by oil barter, deferred higher payments or any other means. His sole comment on the matter was that the funding would have to be done in ways different to the traditional payment systems.

Waha had suffered enormous damage since 2011, Ammar said. Its storage capacity at Sirda was down to 1.5 million barrels from the pre-revolution figure of 6 million, he explained. This was a result of tanks being destroyed, first during the revolution itself, then in 2014 when Libya Dawn attacked the terminal. Two fields had also been badly damaged during the attack, he added.

RELATED POSTS

Public Prosecution orders detention of Director of Finance and head of the Price Evaluation Committee at Waha Oil Co. for overspending millions of dollars

Waha Oil Company completes drilling of first horizontal well in Q123H Bayda oil reservoir

Waha could probably build one or two tanks from its own funding, but not the 12 required.

As to the pipelines, a survey had been carried out in 2009 which indicated corrosion in many places, but the problem had become much worse in the three years since the start of the Libya’s divisions in mid 2014 .

“Many lines need replacement,” he told the conference.

There was no point, he added, trying to increase production if the pipelines were leaking and not fit for purpose. They had to be repaired first.

Nonetheless, noting that Waha production is currently 260,000 barrels a day, the aim was to increase this 600,000 b/d, Ammar said. “We require international companies to help us to enhance our production in future,” he stressed.

He acknowledged that foreign companies were hesitant to become involved in Libya because of security issues. As a result, only a few were in the country and most of the contracts aimed at increasing production had been put on hold or suspended. But, he stressed, security was less of an issue than before.

“Waha’s door is open,” he said. “Everyone is welcome.”

Foreign service companies that did not start talking to it now about development projects, he warned, risked be left behind when conditions improved.

“If you don’t get here now you will be last on the list [in the future],” he said.

 

Tags: featuredLBBCLibyaWaha Oil Company

Related Posts

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments
Business

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

November 29, 2025
Ministry of Housing in discussions with Ernst & Young in London
Business

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

November 29, 2025
Minister of Industry meets the Committee for Localisation of Oil Materials and Equipment Industry
Business

Industry and Minerals Ministry signs MoU with Hungary’s Rotary International Co. for joint infrastructure investment projects

November 29, 2025
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

NOC reviews Poland’s Puna oil company’s 2025-26 exploration plans in the Murzuq Basin

November 29, 2025
LAIP delegation visits Maputo, Mozambique to recover seized rice project
Business

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio holds coordination meeting with Nigerian embassy on Transit Corridors Project

November 28, 2025
Libyan Export Promotion Centre changes to become Libyan Export Development Authority – new logo adopted
Business

Libyan Export Development Authority to launch subsidised direct shipping service to Sub-Saharan African ports

November 28, 2025
Next Post
Row continues over education ministry schoolbook endorsing suicide bombing

Row continues over education ministry schoolbook endorsing suicide bombing

HoR approves Salamé’s action plan

HoR approves Salamé’s action plan

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.