No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UNSMIL chief suggests “joint tribunals” for Libyan war crimes

byNigel Ash
November 17, 2017
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
UNSMIL chief suggests “joint tribunals” for Libyan war crimes

UNSMIL chief Ghassan Salamé at the UNSC today (Photo: UNSMIL)

By Zeinab Mohammed Salih.

UNSMIL chief Ghassan Salamé at the UNSC today (Photo: UNSMIL)
UNSMIL chief Ghassan Salamé at the UNSC today (Photo: UN)

New York,  16 November 2017:

The international community should consider joint tribunals to try Libyan war crimes suspects to end the impunity with which individuals are operating UNSMIL chief Ghassan Salamé has told said the UN Security Council.

In in his second report to Salamé also called for a review of the management of Libya’s frozen assets, which he claimed was causing the country the “silent loss” of hundred of millions of dollars.

“Freezing the assets is one thing”, he said, “however, their mismanagement is another. We should revisit how Libya’s external wealth and investments are taken care of, so that they are not silently and gradually lost for future generations”.

RELATED POSTS

‘Mini-Meeting’ discusses first two steps of Libya’s UN Roadmap in its first meeting in Rome

UNSMIL calls for immediate release of political activist Mahdi Abdelati – arrested in Misrata

Impunity and lawlessness continued to prevail across the country, he warned, with increasingly heinous crimes being committed every day. He cautioned that murders such as the recent killings by gunmen in Abyar and Wirshefana and the civilian dead from the Derna airstrike were shaking popular faith in the political process.  He said he was repeating his call for the Libyan authorities to investigate these incidents and hold the perpetrators to account.

“However, I cannot ignore that such events take place across the country with alarming regularity and I cannot accept that repeated calls for justice go unattended”.

He continued: “If Libyans alone cannot combat impunity for war crimes, it is time for the international community to consider mechanisms that can help them do so; possibly including joint tribunals”.

Salamé was upbeat about his action plan to bring about a political consensus on the basis of the Libyan Political Agreement (LPA).  He reported to Security Council members on the national conference planned for next February, hopefully to be held in Libya, which would adopt a new constitution and pave the way for new elections.

“I insist the conference be inclusive for all the Libyans” he said, “in order to allow the adoption of a true national charter and provide guidelines for the legislation needed to end the transition”.

He said the two Joint Drafting Committee meetings held in Tunis last month between the House of Representatives (HoR) and the State Council had made significant headway. Since their encounters, both sides had been in constant contact.

“ Though much progress was made,” he said, “a few remaining points are still to be agreed” adding, “I am quite confident we are close to a consensus”.

 

Salamé said that any mechanism to select a new Presidency Council and government had to be transparent and fair. “We will not tailor a process to pick particular candidates” he insisted, “and  I am pleased to report that the Libyan public has overwhelmingly welcomed this principled approach”.

 

He said it was to be expected that politicians should become “over excited”  about who would fill the new roles.  “But for us, what is important is the ‘How’ question. By which we mean, there must be a fair, open and competitive process”.

 

Salamé said that part of the action plan was the creation of a more secure and normal life for all Libyans so they could go about their lives free from fear and want. He explained that  UNSMIL was intensifying its work with armed groups towards their gradual reintegration into civilian life.

“In Tripoli,” he said,“our experts are working closely with state security forces to empower them to secure the capital more effectively.  Moreover, we continue our engagement with military leaders across the country on the future shape of Libya’s defence institutions”.

The sustainable delivery of security also needed an empowered judiciary and professional law enforcement and security agencies.

“The United Nations is working with the Ministry of Justice and other Libyan actors on initiatives, in particular reforming the appalling detention system” he said. “On migrants and refugees, despite emergency assistance, we have seen an increase in the number of people arbitrarily detained in a system with no accountability or due process.

 

“Migrants continue to be subjected to extreme violence, forced labour, extortion and  killings and other grave abuses inside and outside official places of detention”.

Salamé pointed up the irony that Libya, which had once been a donor to much of Africa, was now itself in dire straits, with a quarter of the population in need of humanitarian assistance.

“It is outrageous” he said,“that a country which stands upon such vast wealth has so many suffering. However, it does, and so we must assist them tackle the urgent concerns”.

Flourishing in the insecurity and lack of accountability, Libya’s shadow economy had, he said,  enabled the textbook appearance “of instant millionaires and of the extremely rapid tempo of middle class impoverishment”. Ordinary people paid the highest price for this fraud and two out of every five young people were unemployed.

 

Salamé noted that billions of dollars were being lost every year through illicit money transfers. The wide gap between the official and black market exchange rates enabled some to reap huge profits.

“Brokers benefit from the selling of letters of credits and cheques” he said, adding “The traffic of subsidised fuel to foreign countries robs the country of hundreds of millions every month. Other measures include the issuing of overvalued government contracts”.

The result he warned, was that Libya’s financial reserves were depleting rapidly.

Tags: featuredfrozen assetsGhassan SalaméLibyaUNSCUNSMILwar crimes

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Captured Libyan terrorist confesses on Egyptian TV

Captured Libyan terrorist confesses on Egyptian TV

“Personal” gunfight overflows into Benghazi hospital

"Personal" gunfight overflows into Benghazi hospital

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.