No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Lawyers call for independent investigators for Libyan war crimes

byNigel Ash
November 4, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

A man resembling Warfali just before he murdered three men this March (Screen grab)
A man resembling Mahmoud Warfali just before he murdered three men this March (Screen grab)

Tunis, 4 November 2017:

War crimes in Libya should be probed by an independent body supported by the international community, a group of leading Libyan lawyers has proposed.

Lawyers for Justice in Libya (LFJL) along with Human Rights Watch, has long been critical of the International Criminal Court (ICC) for failing to investigate alleged war crimes.

“The ICC has frequently stated that it will look into the international crimes perpetrated in Libya,” said LFJL director Elham Saudi, speaking of the recent Derna airstrikes in which 15 civilians died, “but it is now time to start holding people accountable. Actions speak louder than words and the ICC must take immediate action to avoid any further suffering”.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan national Khaled El Hishri wanted for crimes against humanity and war crimes surrendered by Germany to the custody of the International Criminal Court  

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

ICC chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda has for two years in succession assured the UN Security Council that her office was working on prosecutions in Libya but complained that she lacked the resources to investigate crimes. The warrant the ICC has issued for the arrest of Saiqa Special Forces major Mahmoud Warfali is understood to be based on a series of videos in which Warfali is apparently involved in the summary execution of 33 bound captives.

Saudi said the UN and the international community must recognise “that an independent investigative mechanism tasked with establishing the facts, including by establishing the perpetrators of the attack and monitoring serious abuses and violations in Libya with a view to identifying individual criminal responsibility, is long overdue”.

She noted that this year there had been a pattern of indiscriminate attacks in Libya. In October alone, armed clashes cross the country, including in Tripoli, Kufra and Misrata had led to at least 47 civilian casualties.

“The targeting of civilians or civilian objects by military operations is in flagrant violation of international humanitarian law and constitutes a war crime according to the Geneva Conventions and their Additional Protocols” she said.

She also deplored the siege of Derna by the Libyan National Army (LNA). She said people in the town had suffered from severe shortages of basic necessities, including medical supplies and food.

Turkey has  also joined the international censure of the Derna airstrikes. “We strongly condemn the air strikes against a residential area near the Derna which caused the deaths and injuries of some civilians, including women and children” said a statement put out by the Turkish embassy in Tripoli.

It wished Allah’s mercy on the dead and sent its condolences to families and the wounded wishing them a rapid recovery.

Tags: Fatou BensoudafeaturedICCLFJLLibyaMahmoud Warfaliwar crimes

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
Attack on LNA post near Brak Al-Shatti; smugglers blamed

Attack on LNA post near Brak Al-Shatti; smugglers blamed

Thinni government approves funding for 4th evaporator at Tobruk desalination plant

Thinni government approves funding for 4th evaporator at Tobruk desalination plant

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.