No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Former PC loyalist Majbri joins Gatrani and Aswad in fresh challenge to Serraj

byNigel Ash
September 3, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Former PC loyalist Majbri joins Gatrani and Aswad in fresh challenge to Serraj

Majbri flanked by sombre Aswad (L) and Gatrani reads their statement (Image: Libyaschannel TV)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Majbri flanked by sombre Aswad (L) and Gatrani reads their statement (Image: Libyaschannel TV)
Majbri flanked by sombre Aswad (L) and Gatrani reads their statement (Image: Libya’s Channel TV)

Tunis, 3 September 2017:

Three of the seven-member Presidency Council (PC) have condemned their chief Faiez Serraj for issuing decrees unilaterally and according to them, breaching the terms of the Libyan Political Agreement (LPA). They have further said that the House of Representatives (HoR) is the only legitimate representative of the Libyan people, but have said nothing about their own position now within the PC.

Fathi Al-Majbri, Ali Al-Gatrani, both PC vice-presidents and Omar Aswad stood side by side as Majbri read out a three-page statement in a video recording. The surprise is that Majbri has not only come out against Serraj but was the trio’s spokesman yesterday. He has been an active PC member until early last month when he withdrew after attacking Serraj’s Italian migrant deal. Last week Majbri flew to Benghazi for talks with armed forces commander-in-chief Khalifa Hafter.

Majbri and Gatrani are from the east while Aswad is from Zintan. The last two have long been at odds with Serraj. The outspoken Gatrani, who like Aswad has been boycotting the PC almost from the beginning this April said Serraj should go and the international community should back Hafter.

RELATED POSTS

As Tripoli PM Aldabaiba fills two vacant ministerial posts, Presidency Council expresses a split over the legality of their appointment

Benghazi Court of Appeal issues two rulings stipulating that it does not have jurisdiction to hear appeals against decrees issued by Presidency Council

This latest assault on Serraj’s political legitimacy appears to have been prompted by his appointment of Faraj Al-Gaem as deputy interior minister. Gaem is a member of the Awagir tribe, the dominant tribe around Benghazi and flew there a week ago. He was welcomed and protected by fellow tribesmen. A former militia leader in the Revolution and a Libyan National Army (LNA) supporter, Gaem broke with Hafter last year.

Serraj’s appointment of Gaem is seen as an attempt to divide the eastern tribal support for Hafter. His arrival in Benghazi prompted Hafter to order that any instructions from the new deputy minister should be ignored. The LNA expanded the order to say that none of the PC-appointed Government of National Accord (GNA) could operate in LNA-controlled areas. “National security comes first” said LNA spokesman Colonel Ahmed Mismari adding that force would be used “when required”.

In the video, the dissenting trio protested their support for “legitimate institutions, above all the HoR and the military establishment it has created under Hafter and his chief-of-staff  Abdul Razzak Al-Nazhuri”.

They said  they believed the decrees Serraj was issuing off his own bat were “leading to a worsening of the political and security landscape in Libya and detrimental to serious endeavours to reach a comprehensive reconciliation among all Libyans”.

They warned of the dire consequences of the PC head’s “breaching of the terms of the political agreement” and echoed Hafter’s reaction to Gaem’s appointment by calling for the Serraj’s decisions to be rejected.

They added: “We also call on the international community, the sponsors of the political agreement and the United Nations Mission, specifically its representative, Mr. Ghassan Salamé, to take a clear and firm stand against these violations, which threaten the unity, security and stability of the country”.

Tags: Ali GatraniFaiez SerrajFathi MajbrifeaturedHouse of RepresentativesKhalifa HafterLibyaOmar AswadPresidency Council

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Awagir tribal elders say they still back the LNA

Awagir tribal elders say they still back the LNA

Tarhouna denies its militia is about to attack Tripoli

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

FX black-market has existed for years and decades, and eliminating it in a short period is impossible: CBL Governor Issa

Libyan Industry Union and National Economic and Social Development Board to sign MoU to support manufacturing business environment

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.