No Result
View All Result
Friday, May 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Sudanese consulate in Kufra given three days to close

byMichel Cousins
July 27, 2017
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
Sudanese consulate in Kufra given three days to close

The Beida gverment's ministry of foreign affais (Photo: LANA)

By Libya Herald reporter.

The Beida gverment's ministry of foreign affais (Photo: LANA)
The Beida government’s foreign ministry  (Photo: LANA)

Tunis, 26 July 2017:

In the latest move in the ongoing row between the Beida-based interim government and Sudan, the Sudanese consulate in Kufra has been ordered to close and its staff given three days to leave the country.

The news was announced by both the interim government’s foreign ministry and the foreign ministry in Khartoum.

The Beida government says that Sudanese diplomats in Kufra have been working in a way “contrary to the status established by international conventions for the staff of diplomatic missions and consulates, which is in violation of Libyan national security”.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli Transport Minister seeking to activate Transit Roads to Niger and Sudan

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Sudan’s consul-general, Salah Ahmed Eid, was summoned to the interim government’s foreign ministry and told of the decision.

Its Kufra mission consists of its consul and eleven staff members.

Relations between the interim government and Sudan have been difficult from the moment the former had to quit Tripoli in mid-2014 when the Libya Dawn movement took over the city. The Thinni government accused Sudan of providing with arms to Libya Dawn, an accusation Khartoum denied. However, it accepted the Libya Dawn regime as Libya’s government until it switched to the Presidency Council last year.

Following the accusations by Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain and Egypt that Qatar has been supporting terrorism and Islamist militants, tensions have again grown, with LNA spokesman Ahmed Mismari claiming that Sudan is part of a “triangle” of terrorism which includes Turkey and Qatar.

The Sudanese government, which has been regularly linked to the Muslim Brotherhood, has hit back with counter claims that the Libyan National Army (LNA) has been with Darfuri rebels from Sudan.

Such groups have been particularly active in the Kufra area.

Tags: featuredKufraLibyaSudan

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Massive LNA military graduation ceremony in Zintan

Massive LNA military graduation ceremony in Zintan

Egypt tells Hafter it supports his agreement with Serraj; Gatrani concurs

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Industry Pioneers Conference and Forum held in Tripoli – as a national platform to support Libyan industry and enhance economic partnership

Austria’s OMV opens Benghazi office and holds meeting to discuss Contract Development Area No. 91

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.