No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Derna Mujahedeen attempt to break seige as LNA commander vows total blockade

byMichel Cousins
July 30, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Derna Mujahedeen attempt to break seige as LNA commander vows total blockade

as

By Jamie Prentis.

asd
Omar Mukhtar Operations Room head Brigadier Salem Rifadi orders total siege of Derna (Photo: Social media) 

Tunis, 30 July 2017:

An attempt by fighters from the Derna Mujahedeen Shoura Council (DMSC) to break through the Libyan National Army (LNA)’s blockade of the town ended in failure this morning and appears to have given the LNA the chance to take the Kasarat area in the eastern part. The move came as the head of the LNA’s Omar Mukhtar Operations Room tasked with taking Derna, Brigadier Salem Rifadi, declared that there would now be a total blockade. No food, medicines, cooking gas, petrol or anything else would be allowed in.

His decision follows the news that one of two pilots shot down over the town yesterday by the DMSC, Colonel Adel Jehani, had died, apparently executed. There have, however, still been no details as to how in fact Jehani died.

The DMSC offensive started at dawn today with muhajideen forces attacking LNA positions around the town. It led to the death of five LNA soldiers. Another four were injured, sources in Derna said. For its part, the DMSC says it lost one man.

RELATED POSTS

Two Libyans and five expatriates detained for deliberately falsifying civil status data in Tobruk

Eastern Libyan government engages Turkish company to assess safety of dams

However, in a counter offensive during the day, the LNA are reported to have taken the Kasarat area in east Derna. Sources close to the LNA say that they are now preparing a “massive” attack on the town from east, west and south.

The LNA had already been mounting a blockade, although it was not wholly effective. People were able to get in and out. Rifadi told a Tobruk radio station today that that would all now end and that the siege would be total. Nothing would get in or out.

Ironically, he was injured in a car crash later today on the road between Tamimi, south-east of Derna, and Marj. He is reported to have suffered a broken leg and was taken to the hospital in Beida for treatment. Two guards travelling with him are said to have suffered minor injuries but are otherwise in good health.

 

Tags: DernafeaturedLibyaSalem RifadiTobruk

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Siala says Serraj did invite Italian warships into Libyan waters

Sirte's new Gulf power station the latest to be plundered

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.