No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Zawia militiamen held in Saudi Arabia on terror charges: report

byMichel Cousins
July 4, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Tripoli, 26 June 2017:

Two Zawia militiamen are reported to have been arrested in Saudi Arabia on suspicion on links with terrorism after a request to detain them was allegedly sent to the Saudi authorities by the Egyptian government.

Mahmud Ben Rajab and Mohamed Al-Khadrawi are also said to be on a list of “terrorists” sent by the interim government in Beida to the Saudis. Both were allegedly detained yesterday at Jeddah airport as they were preparing to leave after performing Umrah.

According to one source, the two are members of the Farouk brigade, one of the Islamist militias led by Shaaban Masoud Hadia, better known as Abu Obaida Al-Zawi. It is claimed that they were involved in the kidnapping of five Egyptian diplomats in January 2014 when Al-Zawi, at the time the head of the Libyan Revolutionaries’ Operations Room, was arrested by the police in Alexandria  on suspicion of having links with Al-Qaeda. Because of the kidnappings, the Egyptians were forced to release him. Following his release, the five were then freed.

RELATED POSTS

Saudi Civil Aviation Authority and several security managers of Saudi air transport companies inspect Tripoli’s Mitiga airport

Minister of Transport Shahoubi held meeting with President of Saudi Civil Aviation Authority – return of Saudi Airlines flights to Libya discussed

The Farouk brigade and Zawi are militantly opposed to both the Libyan National Army and Khalifa Hafter in the east and the Presidency Council in the west.

Although said to be on a list sent to Riyadh by the Beida government, neither Ben Rajab not Khadrawi are on the “terrorist” list compiled a fortnight ago by the House of Representatives’s defence committee, and supposedly dispatched to the Saudis. However, Zawi is on it, described as being a member of “the military wing of Al-Qaeda”.

So far, all the reports of the two arrests come from Libyan sources. Saudi sources have been unable to confirm them.

Tags: EgyptLibyasaudi ArabiaZawia

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Kidnappers in bid to force Tunisians to free alleged Libyan drug smuggler

Benghazi municipality starts in Suq Al-Hout clean-up as more stolen treasure found

Benghazi municipality starts in Suq Al-Hout clean-up as more stolen treasure found

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.