No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

A downbeat Kobler reports to the UN Security Council

byNigel Ash
April 21, 2017
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
A downbeat Kobler reports to the UN Security Council

UNSMIL chief Martin Kobler at the UN Security Council (Photo: UN)

By Libya Herald reporters.

UNSMIL chief Martin Kobler at the UN Security Council (Photo: UN)
UNSMIL chief Martin Kobler at the UN Security Council (Photo: UN)

Tunis, 20 April 2017:

UNSMIL chief Martin Kobler has told the UN Security Council in New York that Libyans are no longer clear about their future.

The normally upbeat Kobler admitted that the optimism that followed the December 2015 signing of the Skhirat agreement in Morocco had faded: “Instead I see frustration, disappointment, sometimes anger and often it is justified”.

What he described as the sharp horizon created by the Libyan Political Agreement (LPA) had been blurred and the path forward was no longer clear for many.

RELATED POSTS

“Building Libyan National Capacities in the Fields of Combating Corruption and Money Laundering 2025–2027” agreement signed between ACA and UNSMIL at Anti-Corruption event

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

“Today,” he said, “uncertainty has contributed to fragmentation and dissent, contributing to a dangerous political power vacuum. Violent clashes, social unrest, increasing criminality remain common in too many parts of Libya.”

Kobler warned that though the so-called Islamic State had been defeated in both Sirte and Benghazi, the major risk came now from internal conflict and the growth of militias in the continuing power vacuum. History, he said, did not tolerate a vacuum. Armed groups were now gaining power. The consequence was that Libya was seeing new and heightened violence.

He said that as a result of division, public services including access to electricity, water, health and education were being denied to many Libyans.  And he made it clear that the economy was tanking. Gross Domestic product had halved in five years. “The lack of liquidity prevents Libyans from accessing their salaries. The dinar is losing value. The shadow economy and rampant corruption are growing. ”

Reflecting the international community’s mounting frustration at the stand-off between the Presidency Council (PC) and the Central Bank, he urged more constructive cooperation between financial and economic institutions and the PC .

Kobler also warned that political divisions also threatened the cohesiveness of the Central Bank, the National Oil Corporation and the Libyan Investment Authority. As a result it was difficult to produce a realistic common budget for the whole country.

The UNSMIL chief yet again stressed that the LPA was the only option but was open to amendment by Libyans.

“There is no alternative, there is no plan B. And there is no need for one,” he said, adding

“If the parties do not uphold their responsibility in the Libyan Political Agreement, there is no reason to think that they will have any greater commitment to an alternative agreement.”

He said that all important stakeholders were committed to the LPA including Khalifa Hafter and House of Representatives (HoR) president Ageela Saleh.

He explained: “The Prime Minister, [Faiez Serraj] the President of the House of Representatives both confirmed their commitment, as did the Commander of the Libyan National Army, Field Marshall Hafter, during our meeting last Thursday in Benghazi. The Head of the State Council [Abdul Rahman Sewehli ] expressed his agreement, as have almost all representatives of significant institutions and constituencies.

Kobler also told Security Council members of his worries over violence in the south. “Efforts to expand control through violence are short-sighted and counterproductive. I am particularly concerned about developments in southern Libya, both military and humanitarian. The much-neglected South just cannot take more. There will be no unity through violence. Parties need to step back, and talk.”

He also urged more active engagement by the international community and appeared to take a swipe at the minor industry of offshore conferences and symposia that has grown under the auspices of NGOs, the EU and the UN itself. What was needed he said were “Action and commitment, not only papers and meetings and workshops.”

He said: “Having worked on Libya since the signature of the Libyan Political Agreement, I am convinced that Libya will not solve its problem alone. It needs strong, united, consistent, robust and concrete support of the international community. ”

But this he stressed had to take the form of partnerships not interference.

In what appears to be a subtle but potentially important shift of emphasis, Kobler said that UNSMIL would shortly be starting to work with elected local authorities which had demonstrated their ability to mediate local ceasefires that had, he said, prevented many sparks from creating fires.

“Libyans will soon start a comprehensive bottom-up national reconciliation initiative supported by UNSMIL”. The plan would be for public services and governance to be improved at local levels.

“In a country with a legacy of weak national institutions, local authorities remain among the most respected and effective actors.  We must support them.  Democratically-elected mayors must be given authority, funds and responsibility. ”

Tags: featuredLibyaMartin KoblerSecurity CouncilUNSMIL

Related Posts

NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

China appoints Ma Xueliang as its new ambassador to Libya – after a 10-year gap

February 13, 2026
After a ten-year hiatus, Al-Khadra hospital’s Eye Clinic reopens
Libya

Al-Hadaba Al-Khadra General Hospital announces resumption of hip replacement surgeries after a two-year hiatus

February 12, 2026
Next Post
LCOG to meet NOC and subsidiaries to discuss increased role for Libyan private sector

LCOG to meet NOC and subsidiaries to discuss increased role for Libyan private sector

NOC denies reports of El-Fil oilfield reopening

NOC denies reports of El-Fil oilfield reopening

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.