No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

UN must impose no fly-zone over oil basin says General Suleiman Al-Obeidi

byMichel Cousins
October 6, 2020
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Tunis, 10 March 2017:

A top Libyan general has called for the UN to impose a no-fly zone over the oil crescent as Khalifa Hafter’s air force threatens to batter the region. With Hafter’s troops reportedly starting their offensive to recapture the central oil terminals, a no-fly zone was critical, General Suleiman Al-Obeidi has said in a radio interview.

The former National Transitional Council military commander also claimed Hafter had recruited 500 “mercenaries” from his Furjan tribe to support the Libyan National Army (LNA) in the attack.

When the LNA took the oil terminals last September, it was supported by 7,000 fighters from the Sudanese rebel group Justice and Equality Movement (JEM), Obeidi claimed.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

General Obeidi, who joined the revolution in February 2011 along with his forces in Tobruk and was appointed the NTC’s interim chief of staff after the assassination of Major-General Abdul Fatah Younis in July 2011, has been opposed to both Hafter and Libya’s Islamists for some considerable time. In October 2014, he said he was ready to lead an attack on Derna to wrest it from Ansar Al-Sharia. But his opposition to Hafter resulted in the offer being rejected by the LNA.

Both Chadian and Sudanese fighters were widely reported to have been involved in the LNA’s September takeover of the oil basin. A senior JEM commander recently confirmed to Sudanese media that some of his troops had supported the LNA when the oil terminals were taken.

The mainly Darfuri JEM has, however, been active in south east Libya since the 2011 revolution, when they were employed by Qaddafi. Since then they have acted as freelance mercenaries in the region.

 

Tags: LibyaSuleiman Al-Obeidi

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
People-smugglers murder migrants who feared rough seas: report

People-smugglers murder migrants who feared rough seas: report

Hafter orders detention of LNA members seen in video assault: report

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.