No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

LNA says it will prosecute soldiers who murder and abuse prisoners

byNigel Ash
October 27, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
LNA says it will prosecute soldiers who murder and abuse prisoners

A man resembling Warfali just before he murdered three men this March (Screen grab)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Warfali approaches hs victims in front of the memorial painting (Screen grab)
The killer approaches hs victims in front of the memorial painting (Screen grab)

Benghazi, 20 March 2017:

The Libyan National Army has said it is moving against soldiers suspected of war crimes.

The action has been prompted by a widely-circulated clip of a senior LNA commander murdering three prisoners while they are bound and kneeling beside a wall.  The military communiqué put out this evening by LNA spokesman Ahmed Mismari said that all captives should be treated in accordance with military and Islamic law and Arab morality.

He continued that cases of the abuse and murder of prisoners were being referred to the military police. He said that the LNA high command had set up an investigative committee to look into these serious allegations.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

The trigger was the footage of a man allegedly identified as colonel Mahmoud Warfali executing three kneeling prisoners in cold blood. He is seen waiting for a black vehicle to move away from in front of the captives then walking up behind them casually and with his machine pistol shooting each one rapidly in the back of the head and then the body after they had collapsed. He fires seven shots in all and afterwards walks away.

Warfali, a Saiqa Special Forces commander, was targeted by a car bomb this February as his convoy passed a petrol station in Benghazi’s Gwarsha district on the way to siege of the 12 Buildings complex in Ganfouda. He was injured along with seven others but two of the soldiers with him were killed. In the footage, the man’s right arm is bandaged and he uses his left hand to fire the weapon.

Some LNA commanders were already uneasy at the treatment and mutilation of militant corpses after the final end of the Ganfouda siege on Saturday.  The body of militant leader Jalal Makhzoum was exhumed from a shallow grave in the complex and tied to the bonnet of a vehicle before being paraded around while onlookers spat at and struck it. Another militant corpse was strung up in a cruciform position such as that used on their victims by IS terrorists in Sirte.

It is unclear when the footage of the man said to be Warfali shooting the prisoners was taken. However, the killings happened outside the Salmani house of three brothers who were members of his Saiqa Special Forces and were killed in action. In what would appear to be a staged act of revenge, the prisoners were shot in front of a wall painting commemorating the brothers.

Tags: BenghazifeaturedGanfoudaJamal MakhzoumLibyaLNAMahmoud WarfaliMismariMurderprosecutionSaiqa Special ForcesSalmani

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post
Another Obari bank manager kidnapped

Another Obari bank manager kidnapped

British MP urges London's support for the LNA and HoR

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.