No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Hafter orders unconditional release of militants’ families

byNigel Ash
October 27, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Hafter orders unconditional release of militants’ families

Celebrations at Benghazi's Tripoli rod reopens after three years (Photo: social media)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Celebrations at Benghazi's Tripoli rod reopens after three years (Photo: social media)
Celebrations as Benghazi’s Tripoli road reopens through Ganfouda after three years (Photo: Social media)

Benghazi, 22 March 2017:

Armed forces commander-in-chief Khalifa Hafter has ordered the immediate and unconditional release of all women and families detained during the liberation of the west of Benghazi except for those facing criminal charges.

The move follows the local and international outrage at the footage showing the summary execution of prisoners and the parading of the decomposing corpses of militants exhumed from shallow graves in Ganfouda’s long-besieged 12 Buildings. Today the Libyan National Army (LNA) found the bodies of seven of its own soldiers in the complex. It is unclear if they had been captured and executed or killed in the fighting.

The LNA has said that those troops guilty of war crimes will be arrested. This was echoed by Wanis Boukhamada, commander of the Saiqa Special Forces. A key suspect is Mahmoud Warfali who resembles a gunman seen executing a total of four men in two separate filmed murders. Warfali is a colonel in Saiqa. It is unclear if he has yet been detained and questioned. There are reports that another significant member of the Special Forces was photographed alongside one of the disinterred militants.

RELATED POSTS

Wahda bank to introduce ‘‘Edei’’ – the first palm-scan payment service in Libya

Libya Development and Reconstruction Fund signs ”strategic agreements” with ”several large” US Companies

Benghazi House of Representatives member Jalal Al-Shweidi has demanded that Hafter and army chief of staff Abdelrazak Nazhuri come to the parliament to explain how the crimes had been permitted and what they were doing about them.

The furore over the videos has dampened the celebrations in Benghazi at the final defeat of the Ganfouda militants. But there were still a small but enthusiastic crowd to greet the reopening of the Tripoli road through Ganfouda which has been closed for three years by the fighting. Military engineers spent two days checking the route for IEDs and unexploded ordnance. The reopening means that travellers wanting to head down to Ajdabiya will no longer have to take a 12 mile detour to the south-west of the city.

Troops continue to search for militants who escaped the 12 Buildings siege. One alleged escapee was found yesterday hiding under tin sheeting on a farm and another was caught nearby in Gwarsha. Both were taken to Granda prison.

The captured Ibrahim Al-Zaroug before he was given an Ahli football shirt to wear (Photo: Social media)
The captured Ibrahim Al-Zaroug before he was given an Ahli football shirt to wear (Photo: Social media)

The two men, Ibrahim Al-Zaroug and Talal Bin Hmaid are Bengazinos like nearly all of the Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shoura Council and many in Ansar Al-Sharia.  Fans of the city’s Ahli football club  were reportedly furious that after being captured semi-naked, Zaroug was given a club shirt to wear. Neighbour has sometimes been fighting neighbour. Indeed Warfali and militant commander Jalal Makhzoum both lived near each other in the city’s Salmani district.

But not all of the captured militants are local. Three men said to be members of the Al-Farooq brigade, founded in Misrata in 2011, are Tuareg from Obari. Another is an Egyptian.

Tags: BoukhamdafeaturedGanfoudaHafterLibyaLNAmilitantsNazhouriWarfali

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

NOC given no money to pay salaries, let alone invest: Mustafa Sanalla

Tripoli court blocks Serraj's migrant deal with Italy: effect unclear

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

After a 10-year hiatus, CT scan service at Tripoli Children’s Teaching Hospital restarted

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.