No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

The kidnappings continue, particularly in Tripoli

byNigel Ash
February 9, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
The kidnappings continue, particularly in Tripoli

Wataniya executive Ali Salim kidnapped today (Photo: social media)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Wataniya executive Ali Salim kidnapped today (Photo: social media)
Wataniya executive Ali Salim kidnapped today (Photo: Social media)

Tripoli and Benghazi, 5 February 2017:

A television journalist was grabbed in front of his Tripoli home today while his helpless wife looked on. The abductors told her that they wanted him for “investigations”.

Ali Salem, head of programming at the state-owned Al-Watania TV was seized by unidentified gunmen at around 10am. His wife told Alwasat that she heard a noise outside.

“I found him struggling with an unknown armed group, who forced him go with them,” she said.  “I asked them to take his car and leave him alone but they answered that they want him for investigations.”

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

On the day of first direct Tripoli to Rome flight, MoU signed between Libyan Civil Aviation and its Italian counterpart

His TV station has appealed for his release.

Dr Baruni kidnapped today
Dr Abu Ghanem Baruni also  kidnapped today (Photo: Social media)

Another Tripoli kidnap this weekend is the manager of the Al-Masara Clinic, Dr Abu Ghanem Baruni, who disappeared on Saturday. No further details of his abduction are known.

Meanwhile the Audit Bureau in Tripoli has revealed that their colleague Sami Al-Laafi, missing since the 31 January, had been investigating a fraud at the health ministry. The Bureau said on its social media page that Laafi had been looking into fake purchase orders for foreign goods.

The Bureau alleged that his enquiries had produced an angry response.

“He was blackmailed and threatened during his investigation and now he is paying the price for his fight against corruption,” it wrote.

These abductions are only tip of the iceberg in Tripoli. It is reported that in the 46 days from 15 December there have been 293 known abductions including 11 married women and 21 girls.

Tripoli crime stats-090217

There have also been 482 reported attacks on vehicles, 503 shootings leaving 23 people dead and the discovery of 118 unidentified bodies.  One of the corpses, which was discovered yesterday in Tripoli was that of the commander of Janzour’s Mobile Forces.  Emhemmed Azzabi was found dead in the Hadba district in what appeared to be an assassination. Azzabi’s militia, though from Janzour, is not part of the current fighting between the Wirshefana and the Knights of Janzour around Bridge 17.

But Tripoli does not have an absolute monopoly on kidnapping. In Shahhat in the east a former General National Congress member Fawzi Al-Ogab was seized yesterday in circumstances that are still unclear.

Meanwhile there is no news of Kufra House of Representatives member Jibril Awhaidah, who was kidnapped in Tobruk nearly a week ago.

It is being said that he was seized  in retaliation for the alleged involvement of his son in the disappearance of a member of the Obeidat tribe five years ago in Kufra – an allegation that apparently only came to light last year. Attempts at a reconciliation and investigation into that disappearance failed. The son went into hiding and in retaliation, his father was kidnapped.

Tags: Al-Masara ClinicAli SalemDr Abu Ghanem BaruniEmhemmed AzzabiFawzi Al-OgabfeaturedJanzourJibril AwhaidahkidnapsLibyaMobile ForcesTripoli

Related Posts

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Next Post
Hafter says LNA controls 95 percent of the country

Hafter says LNA controls 95 percent of the country

Fresh fighting in Janzour as ceasefire breaks down

Fresh fighting in Janzour as ceasefire breaks down

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

CBL renews call on Economy Ministry to prohibit imports without payment through official bank transfers starting from 15 June

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.