No Result
View All Result
Sunday, September 17, 2023
28 °c
Tripoli
28 ° Mon
28 ° Tue
29 ° Wed
30 ° Thu
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
 
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

The kidnappings continue, particularly in Tripoli

byNigel Ash
February 9, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
The kidnappings continue, particularly in Tripoli

Wataniya executive Ali Salim kidnapped today (Photo: social media)

15
SHARES
66
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

By Libya Herald reporters.

Wataniya executive Ali Salim kidnapped today (Photo: social media)
Wataniya executive Ali Salim kidnapped today (Photo: Social media)

Tripoli and Benghazi, 5 February 2017:

A television journalist was grabbed in front of his Tripoli home today while his helpless wife looked on. The abductors told her that they wanted him for “investigations”.

Ali Salem, head of programming at the state-owned Al-Watania TV was seized by unidentified gunmen at around 10am. His wife told Alwasat that she heard a noise outside.

“I found him struggling with an unknown armed group, who forced him go with them,” she said.  “I asked them to take his car and leave him alone but they answered that they want him for investigations.”

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

His TV station has appealed for his release.

Dr Baruni kidnapped today
Dr Abu Ghanem Baruni also  kidnapped today (Photo: Social media)

Another Tripoli kidnap this weekend is the manager of the Al-Masara Clinic, Dr Abu Ghanem Baruni, who disappeared on Saturday. No further details of his abduction are known.

Meanwhile the Audit Bureau in Tripoli has revealed that their colleague Sami Al-Laafi, missing since the 31 January, had been investigating a fraud at the health ministry. The Bureau said on its social media page that Laafi had been looking into fake purchase orders for foreign goods.

The Bureau alleged that his enquiries had produced an angry response.

“He was blackmailed and threatened during his investigation and now he is paying the price for his fight against corruption,” it wrote.

These abductions are only tip of the iceberg in Tripoli. It is reported that in the 46 days from 15 December there have been 293 known abductions including 11 married women and 21 girls.

Tripoli crime stats-090217

There have also been 482 reported attacks on vehicles, 503 shootings leaving 23 people dead and the discovery of 118 unidentified bodies.  One of the corpses, which was discovered yesterday in Tripoli was that of the commander of Janzour’s Mobile Forces.  Emhemmed Azzabi was found dead in the Hadba district in what appeared to be an assassination. Azzabi’s militia, though from Janzour, is not part of the current fighting between the Wirshefana and the Knights of Janzour around Bridge 17.

But Tripoli does not have an absolute monopoly on kidnapping. In Shahhat in the east a former General National Congress member Fawzi Al-Ogab was seized yesterday in circumstances that are still unclear.

Meanwhile there is no news of Kufra House of Representatives member Jibril Awhaidah, who was kidnapped in Tobruk nearly a week ago.

It is being said that he was seized  in retaliation for the alleged involvement of his son in the disappearance of a member of the Obeidat tribe five years ago in Kufra – an allegation that apparently only came to light last year. Attempts at a reconciliation and investigation into that disappearance failed. The son went into hiding and in retaliation, his father was kidnapped.

 
Tags: Al-Masara ClinicAli SalemDr Abu Ghanem BaruniEmhemmed AzzabiFawzi Al-OgabfeaturedJanzourJibril AwhaidahkidnapsLibyaMobile ForcesTripoli
Share6Tweet4Share1

Related Posts

UN lunches US$ 71 million Libya floods appeal, WHO and Red Cross advise against mass burials
Libya

UN lunches US$ 71 million Libya floods appeal, WHO and Red Cross advise against mass burials

September 15, 2023
Latest UN satellite imagery shows extent of Storm Daniel destruction in Derna
Libya

Latest UN satellite imagery shows extent of Storm Daniel destruction in Derna

September 15, 2023
Tripoli and Hafter’s army working side-by-side – A roundup of the eastern rescue effort
Libya

Tripoli and Hafter’s army working side-by-side – A roundup of the eastern rescue effort

September 14, 2023
23 flights of international aid from 12 states arrive in Libya within 24 hours – government asks UN to coordinate effort
Libya

23 flights of international aid from 12 states arrive in Libya within 24 hours – government asks UN to coordinate effort

September 14, 2023
More than 5,300 dead and 10,000 missing in Derna disaster
Libya

More than 5,300 dead and 10,000 missing in Derna disaster

September 13, 2023
More than 2,000 dead and thousands missing after Storm Daniel hit eastern Libya
Libya

More than 2,000 dead and thousands missing after Storm Daniel hit eastern Libya

September 12, 2023
Next Post
Hafter says LNA controls 95 percent of the country

Hafter says LNA controls 95 percent of the country

Fresh fighting in Janzour as ceasefire breaks down

Fresh fighting in Janzour as ceasefire breaks down

 

Advertise on LibyaHerald

Reach thousands of our site visitors daily

240 x 400px

Advertise Here
ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • More than 5,300 dead and 10,000 missing in Derna disaster

    More than 5,300 dead and 10,000 missing in Derna disaster

    294 shares
    Share 130 Tweet 69
  • Libya hit by storm Daniel with eastern region suffering worse damage

    271 shares
    Share 122 Tweet 62
  • More than 2,000 dead and thousands missing after Storm Daniel hit eastern Libya

    190 shares
    Share 87 Tweet 43
  • 23 flights of international aid from 12 states arrive in Libya within 24 hours – government asks UN to coordinate effort

    156 shares
    Share 63 Tweet 39
  • Tripoli and Hafter’s army working side-by-side – A roundup of the eastern rescue effort

    142 shares
    Share 57 Tweet 36
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

UN lunches US$ 71 million Libya floods appeal, WHO and Red Cross advise against mass burials

Latest UN satellite imagery shows extent of Storm Daniel destruction in Derna

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Cart
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Sign In with Facebook
    Sign In with Linked In
    OR

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Sign Up with Facebook
    Sign Up with Linked In
    OR

    Fill the forms bellow to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.
    Are you sure want to unlock this post?
    Unlock left : 0
    Are you sure want to cancel subscription?